Home Dota 2

Gyro missile effect?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
No Pie For You! polycounter lvl 6
hey guys!

i`m cooking up a missle for gyrocopter and i saw that, even though the model is loaded onto the hero, the spell itself still uses the old model. I know this requires some particle work of some sorts, but i have 0 knoledge whastoever on that chapter.

could anyone point me in the right direction or tell me what i should load where to get the original missle particle in the workshope tools? from there i think i`ll find the right parameter to modify the model.

<edit:> also, a way to load it in game would also be apreciated :D

cheers

Replies

• BohSheh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BohSheh polycounter lvl 9
    I think there is nothing to worry about , it might be common bug from during import and testing in game .

To test it ingame :
    I dont know if it works or not but there will be alot of steps you are going to do . If not you might need to change it in the particle editor but just leave it for now .

1) Locate your compiled model(mdl,vtx,vvd) and texture file(vmt,vtf) in your dota 2 folder . Most likely (for me) located at
    *Model
    Steam\SteamApps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\models\items\gyro.....
    *Texture
    Steam\SteamApps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\materials\models\items\gyro.....
    2) Move to
    *Model
    Steam\SteamApps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\models\heroes\gyro
    *Texture
    Steam\SteamApps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\materials\models\heroes\gyro

By default it maynot have the gyro folder so create yourself ( name has to be exact "gyro" )
    3) Rename your file
    *Model
    gyro_missile ( keep the dx90 for vtx file )
    *Texture
    I found 2 different group of texture file so it is best for you to make 2 copies of it

rename to gyro_missle ( missle not missile for this one , why ? dont ask me , ask valve ) and the other copy rename to missile ( this one has i )

remember not to override _normal , _color , _mask1 etc.

4) Set launch option for -override_vpk
    5) Test it in lobby server ! ( you dont have to import and test again , just create lobby and remember to activate cheat ) :D
  • No Pie For You!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thx mate, i tried it once but it refused to work. i might have messed something up.
    I`ll give it another go in about 2 days when i`ll be a litle lighter on schedule. probably not a good ideea to start item creation during finalls.
  • BohSheh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did ou see ur missile in game ? as in the form of cosmetic not skill
  • No Pie For You!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the regular import works fine. the missile is in it`s place, with fucked up textures but that`s my fault, but it acts as it should.
    the missile effect however, remains the default missile, regardless if i try with your above suggestions.

it`s the effect/particle that interests me. Importing items works fine for now.
  • BohSheh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I do encounter such problem when I was making a custom hookshot for my clockwerk hook . The particle system are set to change according to the cosmetic , therefore I suspect it somehow fail to read the cosmetic . The previous post refers to my manual import method , not via regular import . Cause I may had made some mistake .
  • No Pie For You!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i`ll get to the bottom of it in about 15 days from now. but still thanks for the help Boh