Home Quixel Megascans

IN PROGRESS: Why do I get such strange dynomasks?

Hello, everyone! I've been playing with the Suite for 3 days and really like it. I've watched official tutorials and read the manual. I've downloaded demo projects(the helmet, the aks and the orc) and played with them and the results were amaizing(just like in the tutorials). But then I decided to try the Suite on my models and the results were not so great. All "clean" materials look pretty good, but when it goes to edge weathering effects and dunomasking I get some strange results: http://imgur.com/0L3ycTe. I used tangent normal map, object space normal map, AO and color ID map. Then I tried a simplier model, basically a cube. I baked a curvature map(the way it shown here at the bottom http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151249&highlight=issue). This is the map I got: http://imgur.com/Xnol5QT
And this how the map looks when assigned with a material to the cube model I used for the baking: http://imgur.com/Dq8fN0a
As I understand the white areas should be used as a mask for edge weathering effects. But what I get is this: [URL] http://imgur.com/Bdqeiac[/URL]
And that is certanly not how the curvature map looks like. What possibly can be wrong with my models or uvs(I assume the problem is with my models, because with the Quxel demo projects all work well)?

And question 2: what capabilites the trial version doesn't have? Judging by "you must register to unlock the full capabilities of the DDO" there are some.

Replies

• Martin7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can check this thread that explain the issue with curvature map http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152651
  • Billy Lundevall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Billy Lundevall polycounter lvl 7
    I see nothing wrong with the map baked for your cube. The link Martin7 posted explains the issue pretty well. But also keep in mind that every curvature also differs a little bit depending on how the target mesh and the source mesh looks and thus all smart materials don't work the same way on every model.

I tend to make my own smart materials since I create all my models and input maps pretty much the same way and therefore can expect consistent results. Most of the stock materials are made using maps baked from a high resolution model to a lower resolution model and thus have more extreme contrasts while I tend to only make a high resolution model and then bake it on itself.
  • hostis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello again! Thanks for the answers! Ok, the problem with the curvature map is undrestood. I've tried some other models, but still getting strange results even with normal maps. I took a simple 6 faced cube, baked normal from a high poly with not so sharp edges and that's what I got:

1)Normal map:
    norm.png

2)This is how the normal looks when assigned to the low poly cube:
    norm_cube.png

3) This is how the normal looks in the 3DO with no materials assigned:
    norm_in_ddo.png

4) And this what I get when I assign Black Gun Metal 01 smart material:
    gun_mat.png

gun_mat_uv.png

What may be the reason I get these results? No curvature map, only a mesh, color id and tangent normal maps(with which as it was said in the topic you gave a link to above smart materials should work well). Where did I make a mistake? I'm really puzzled.
  • Vipera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vipera polycounter lvl 2
    Check my post here http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2136850&postcount=877
    I had found where problem was. When I select UE4, UE4(Optimized) or UDK profiles then Flip normal Y is auto checking on. And since the options are usually hidden when I start new project I didn't notice that. This looks like your normal map is not right. Check the flip normal Y in options.
  • hostis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the answer, Vipera! Unfortunatly, it didn't help. I bake in xNormal with +Y setting. My normal looks more or less ok in the 3DO window without material and looks like a normal of an average box with a bit smoothed edges(I saw pics in the Internet). I tested DDO with some other simple objects and it seems like on every model DDO sees only +Y and +X(or up and right) in the normal uv texture space and complitly ignores -Y and -X with all the smart materials/dynomasks I tested. I can't say why.
    For instance:
    sbox.png
    The normal map is not prefect, but nevertheless, -Y and -X are ignored.
  • Billy Lundevall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Could you upload the files and post a link so I can check if my install generates the same problem?
  • hostis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello, Billy!
    The link to the files:http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=71279504331773890727
    There are the cube with a curvature map(from the first post of this thread), which just gives some unexpected results and two simple cubes(they are also on the screens above) with normal maps as input, which both ignore -Y and -X, at least when I work with them.-) It'd be intresting to see if your install generates the same results. My install is 30 days trial version. Can it be the reason of such results? But, still, the Quixel example projects all work well.
  • Billy Lundevall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I simply don't get the same problem you do if I test the files out. This is your cube with the Gun Metal preset applied.

Cube.jpg

This might just be some error with your install, although when trying a few mask presets I saw a tendency to bring more whiteness to the top right corners. This is probably due to a contrast difference or slight banding in the map, however not at all to the extent you are experiencing.

If you haven't tried a clean re-install yet, i suggest you do so. Otherwise I have to look further into it.
  • hostis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, Billy! Thanks for the testing. I can achieve a similar result using sharp edges. But when I try to chip off more paint I get what I posted before. Can you ahcieve something like this with my cube?
    cube.png

I wanted to chip off/weather effect like in the screen.
    I reinstalled the Suite, but it didn't help(don't know for sure what you meant by "clean reinstall", I just used the uninstall in the Suite folder). By the way, I noticed one more peculiar thing: DDO sees -Y and -X when I use dynomasks meant to mask something in cavities or corners. Like dirt, soot, sand, etc. But with these masks DDO ignores +Y and +X.
    error.png
  • Billy Lundevall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just wanted you to re-install the software to see that there was nothing wrong with the software itself. And by "clean" I meant uninstalling properly and make sure no old files were left behind.

Cube%20002.jpg

I tried it out with those masking presets. I do not get the same results as you do, which is a bit odd. I believe I do have an explanation for why the masking favors some axis and ignores others, this is probably because you have hard edges on the low poly cube and have baked it down from a higher resolution version, this way the normal differs a little from what would happen if it had more geometry and were only soft edges. It works on the normal map, but I think it might make a difference when converting it to a cavity (something DDO does automatically if there is no specified cavity map). If you haven't, you can try using a baked cavity map.

I cant explain why our results differ with the same settings however. The only thing I can think of currently is the DPI of the project (something people mess up very often), I don't know if it would affect this in particular but did you change any of the standard settings when generating the project?
  • Elliot Lucak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elliot Lucak polycounter lvl 2
    I too get this issue, where it does pick up the edges well, but only 2 sides on each face...
    I would post images but they really aren't all that different from what he's getting. :(

EDIT: Actually Vipera seemed to be right, using UDK preset (I haven't tried the other ones he said he had problems with) seems to cause the "edges" dynamask not picking up all of the edges correctly. I am using Quixel suite 1.8.

EDIT 2: No go, regardless of preset, Dynamask still only grabs 2 sides of a 4 sided face. This is the exact project that was working just shortly before.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Elliot!

We have managed to reproduce this bug on one of our machines. One machine can run the project as normal, the other machine get this bug. Edeting some of the curvature paramaters in the materials might be a temporary fix until we get this sorted, does that work for you?
    Would it be possible for us to take a look at your project? to compare it to the project that we have to see if we can find what is causing this.
  • Vipera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vipera polycounter lvl 2
    When you select UDK calibration profile then SUITE automatically checks in Flip normal Y for normal map. Make sure to uncheck it to get right normal maps if you created them in xNormal.
    Clipboard02.png