Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Jack Sparrow Figurine

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Taka007 polycounter lvl 9
Hi guys,

I'm working on a Jack Sparrow miniature / figurine. It's around 75% finished and it's time for some critics. Mainly the final pose and some smaller details remain before I start to prepare for 3d print.

2msaxjz.jpg

Uckek99.gif

Here is a render of Jack's rings. I made them to work as stand alone pieces.
NSc8E85.jpg?1

Replies

• spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spiderDude polycounter lvl 8
    Hey Taka007, the sculpt is looking really nice so far, so good job there!

How small is the print going to be? When sculpting for print you have to take size and thickness into account; the smaller the print the more relief and thickness the sculpt needs.

Let's say we go with an average miniature figure height of 28mm(1.1 inches), all that sweet detail you have on the rings, the soft headband folds, and hair strands will probably not catch well during printing. The rings definitely wont catch through printing and the sword could break easily.

Your sculpt is pretty sweet, just keep the final print size in mind while sculpting.
    Keep up the good work!
  • Taka007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi spiderDude,

You are absolutely right. I'm aware that maybe half of the detail will be lost. I've just started 3d printing so this will be a test for me as well. I'm fine by losing some of the details. To be honest I found myself modelling out everything while tried to figure out how the details. This is actually a quite intricate character, not as I imagined at the beginning. :)

About the printing...my plan is that at the end I will insert some "filling" meshes to eliminate hidden spaces. Inflate slightly the very thin parts and move them close to the rest of the surface. For example the cock of the pistol can be supported by the bias belt. Than I Dynamesh and hollow it out. Definitely will be a challenge but I'm faithful.
  • Taka007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Experimenting further with poses. Trying to find something characteristic to Jack.

(no reference)
    NAIMGCd.gif

Captain-Jack-Things-4.gif
    uicmTNe.gif

ECjZZ7p.jpg
    RPO4JdI.gif

PVIPGek.jpg
    LhcBupx.gif

kHQYlYV.jpg
    7nAgTwq.gif

Which one do you like?
  • Poseidon8734
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poseidon8734 polycounter lvl 6
    Pose 3 is very interesting :D. I say do that one.
  • Kaine123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123 polycounter lvl 10
    I think either pose 3 or 4 capture his personality the best
  • oxblood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxblood polycounter lvl 9
    pose 1 and 3 are so him lol
  • Legion_studios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Legion_studios polycounter lvl 2
  • Taka007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I posed Jack into "Pose #4" and sculpted the hands. Hope you like it (or don't like it) and give feedback. :)

6eeKZlx.gif

wzpRRm2.gif

XSH6cMt.gif

Next step is finalizing the clothes and add an extra pass on the face.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    You're going to have a really bad time if you try to print that ^^. Well maybe not in plastic, but still...

I liked the first pose you had, but yeah the sword was really thin. This one is good too, but now the compass is missing, and it was a good idea to have it...
  • Taka007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Texelion,

Yeah, I'm sure ill s*ck with the print. I'm sure I'm gonna need to re adjust a lot of model to fit closer to each other. And thickening and support with meshes. If anyone has some guideline / tutorial about preparing for 3D print I would appreciate. I know the basics but some tricks and tip would be ace.

Oh, the sword and the compass will be there at the end. I just not turned on the "subtool". Hopefully the sword in the sheath will be thick enough. btw the other pistol will be added as well...those subtools...damn ;)
  • Taka007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've started to collect 3D print tutorials on pinterest.
    https://www.pinterest.com/viktorsaghy/tutorial-3d-printing/
  • Taka007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Half way through the clothing.

UGARXPt.jpg
  • Taka007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is an update
    SVVp6nA.gif
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone polycounter lvl 2
    nice it really adds a LOT to the believabilty :)
  • Taka007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys,

Thank you Skodone!

Some further updates. :)
    - Worked on smaller details and proportional tweaks.
    - Optimised the subtools for easier handling
    - Made the composition to full character (if I continue like this I end up modelling an island haha...)

I was thinking how to make the figurine a bit more complete and interesting. But somehow anything looked a bit stupid with this thigh-cut composition.
    avQsqIh.png

I already was leaning towards a full composition. And in addition I felt that somehting not quite right from hips down with the model. So I pulled down the legs and made it a full character. I felt that I already like it much better.
    8FnMWot.png

Now I'm in the process to come up with the rest of the statue in a good composition and theme.
    xLEWwBd.png
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone polycounter lvl 2
    second pose seems a bit off balance, the uppper body seems too straight and leaned back for that pose...
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Nice work!
    The hips look too broad and the legs too short. The pose looks off balance. I would have to do the whole figure to get the pose right. But I never sculpt a character in a pose so maybe that is why :)

Nice details.
  • Taka007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup, you right kanga! i appreciate it. I had the same feelings about the proportions. I already re-modelled the body underneath the clothes. Something I should have done at the beginning but I didn't think I will make a full detailed character. :)

The goal was here to nail the proportions and correct the mentioned mistakes. Doing this with character posed and without symmetry made it challenging. I'm still not 100% satisfied with the result yet. Any feedbacks are more than welcomed!

rQMOOMs.jpg

Meanwhile I started to bind the clothes back.
    u2bEUKc.gif

The leg position will be changed in the next stage. It was just easier to work on the proportion in this position.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    The pose looks more balanced!
    Just as an experiment try and shrink the head a bit, make the hips more narrow and extend the shin from the knee by about 30%. If you do that with pose master you can put the figures side by side and see which one you like. What I am suggesting is not real its a caricature. I think what you have is more realistic but its always fun to bend stuff,.. till it breaks.

Cheers
  • Taka007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do needed to tweak the proportions more. I straighten out the position therefore I can see properly what is happening. The new results are better. Is this what you were thinking about Kanga? Or do you want to see an even more stylized figure?

jCNFdsi.jpg
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    No man its looking great!
    Well done :)
  • Taka007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I found the pose and the proportions. Sometimes posing yourself and taking photos the best thing you can do. I realised again: "The better the references the better work you can do."

8SWFteV.jpg
  • Taka007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My recent progress. Portrait done. I'm happy with the whole of the model. Now there is the hair and a few other detail to finish. Watch in HD. :)

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Pbgn3HGK-w[/ame]
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Very nice work so far, My main crit would be I think it looks weird to have the head tilted so far to the side. Like I can't think of a single logical reason for such an extreme pose. If he were getting ready to take a shot for example with his pistol he would want to level his head at least, even if he was leaning on the barrel like he is. Other than that I think it looks really good so far!

[edit] I see where you are getting this from your one ref, with the tilted head, but his stance is completely different and your head is tilted a lot more extreme. Just my 2 cents tho. :)
  • amirabd2130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amirabd2130 polycounter lvl 7
    great job. looking forward to this
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Much better pose! You got to think of him as always half drunk, so there is no real straight lines in his posture. Id even tilt the head more to see what it looks like.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    oh, I guess if he were drunk the head tilt would make sense. Didn't think of that. I'm not really a big fan of the movies honestly and I'm only aware that these movies exist.
  • Taka007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82: Thanks for the feedback, buddy. My thought behind the pose is that he is in the middle of an action environment. By this reason I like that he looks back. And a whole pose is built around an arch. But I agree in that if it gives the feeling of senselessness, than there is something wrong. You put the idea into my head. I'll meditate on it.

amirabd2130: Cheers, buddy!

whats_true: Half-drunk! :D That's good! Could put a bottle of rum into his left hand. :)
  • Taka007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys! Long time no see. Here is the recent progress of Jack Sparrow.

Things I was working on:
    • hair
    • barrel
    • remodelled the folds on the trousers
    • modelling missing bits (wristbands, charms, etc.)

At some point I want to recreate the long hair tufts. They are pretty blocky yet.
    This is also the first time I show a proper screenshot of the face. I hope you like it and any opinion or suggestion are welcomed.

TdQ0x1R.jpg

d6Nmpkc.gif
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    great update man! Really dig all the mix of high frequency detail and areas of rest. I think its a really nice balance.
  • theschles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hi @Taka007 would you happen to be willing to share the STL above with Jack Sparrow holding the compass? My son loves that one but I'm not sure if you ever actually published it...