Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Advice & Critique Please - Unity Scene - WIP

I started on an adventure about 3 months ago to learn about 3d modeling, scene, and asset creation for gaming. No education or experience, just as a hobby. With some good direction and advice from a friend, I really got into it.

Aside from needing more practice, I would like to get community feedback, tips, or advice please on my recent scene.

This was created in Unity, with my own textures, speed trees, 3d models.

Unity
Maya
Blender
Mudbox
Substance Designer/painter/B2M
Machine World
Meshlab
Photoshop

were used to create this in low poly.

Thank you for your time and feedback.

GvjRl3o.jpg

RoRWd16.jpg

ISf9YYB.jpg

Replies

• LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    The biome is a bit messy... I'm not really sure everything fits together well. The palms are especially strange with everything else.
  • ddoan88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ddoan88 polycounter lvl 7
    For someone who has no experience in creating 3D environments and scenes this is a great start. As for advice and feedback this is a perfect place to get that here and welcome to the community.

First off what is the focal point of your scene. If I had to guess right now I am assuming the broken down stone structure is the focal point.

Second, I know this is a WIP so just something to keep in mind when lighting is making sure all the light sources make sense. So that greenish glow coming from the stone structure, where is that coming from? Is it a mystical glow surrounding the structure?

Third, In your scene I notice tons of green due to the foliage. I would recommend adding in some rocks to add some contrast in color besides your stone structure.

Fourth, Master what you need and expand later. I ran into this problem as well this year. I wanted to learn all the different new software, techniques and workflows. Pick a few and master them well before expanding your software knowledge. 3D Package, Sculpting Package, and Texture creation package.

Good job so far and keep it up! Can't wait to see more progress on this scene.
  • Gadgets
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This feedback is exactly what I was hoping for. As I created it, I was pretty proud of it, and in my eyes it was looking good. After reading the feedback I started picking my scene apart and realizing all of the corrections that need addressing.

These are great questions to ask myself and I will incorporate them into my work flow.

Thank you for taking the time to write.
  • Gadgets
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since working on my last scene I've decided to go back to the basics and attempt to learn some of the software and techniques a bit more thoroughly. I've started with a small Mudbox plane sculpt and took it into world machine for more detail.

This was a simple terrain I made, to get a grasp on texturing masks. My question is (or where I would like feedback) does this look like the proper use of world machines height/slope masking to get texturea in Unity?

AkoUY0Y.jpg