Home Quixel Megascans

ANSWERED: Will Quixel consider supporting Allegorithmic's Substance products?

Quixel's suite is currently hosted in Photoshop as we all know, with 3DO as a previewer and expressed plans to make 3DO a baker and even a place to do 3D painting as well.

It seems to me though the choice to be hosted in Photoshop was all about not reinventing any existing wheels; to try and turn 3DO into more than a previewer kind of seems like reinventing existing wheels when Allegorithmics' Designer and Painter exists.

I know when MegaScans releases, we'll have access to raw maps vs. just Photoshop .pat files as has been the case with DDO materials, so we'll be able to create Substances out of MegaScans already. It'd be nice though if Quixel supported Allegorithmic's products even further however. I know advances in Substance products like the new Bevel Node and a Bitmap2Material node makes having say, an NDO substance not make the most sense, and the new Mask Builder node does a lot of things a DynaMask substance would've, but I'd say some of Allegorithmic's best ideas probably came from NDO and DDO so it'd be interesting to see what Teddy could think to build in the Substance products to make MegaScans more a first class citizen in them.

In short, as a customer I guess I'd rather see Quixel putting effort into targed support and interop of Allegorithmic's tools rather than work around Photoshop issues and turning 3DO into what the Substance products already do well.

But again, I look forward to whatever Quixel decides to do.

Replies

• Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    +1 Being able to bring a whole material into Substance Painter easily would be fantastic.
  • Eric Ramberg
    This is way above my pay grade, but deals of this kind are always incredibly difficult. There are so many legal matters and NDA´s in play when it comes to these things. So matters of this kind could never be commented on the forums before an official statement, and even then I would probably not be allowed to disclose any details.

To be perfectly honest, I know nothing of bigger mergers/deals, but if I did I could not say anyway. Really boring answer I know, but it is what it is.