Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Latest Work Showreel

TheRod
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
TheRod polycounter lvl 9
Here's some of my latest work, just wondering what you guys think!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC1jonbShO8[/ame]

Replies

• TheRod
  • Bedrock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bedrock polycounter lvl 10
    First shot: Lacking a good focal point, got some moonlight on the left and a light on the groundfloor but without lighting anything interesting. You could try removing the rails closer to the camera and focusing on the ground floor, or moving the lamp up to the second floor and focus attention there. Also make sure the focal point looks good quality wise with interesting assets around.

Second shot: In terms of focal point, much better. The demonic circle is a nice touch and really ties the room together whilst its warm colors really stick out against the blue/brown backdrop. My only beef is the bright blue areas at the very back that really mess with the overall vibe (aka composition). I would try to keep the camera pointed at the focal point and slowly rotate around it and show the scenery that way. I think your screenshots on your website have better camera angles than your showreel.

Shot number three: Not going to lie the room in itself looks really bland, but I feel like it could combo well with the first shot. Have half the shot show this room and the other half the hallway perhaps?

Hobbit Hole Shot: Looks great, first bit could be a second longer. Feels like there should be something above the door, or something on the door.

Dreadnought: Feel like this could be presented better with just showing one dreadnought in the middle, slowly rotating and closer up. Could move camera up/down or switch cameras to different areas, showing even more detail up close.

Speaking of detail, feels like damage is a little inconsistent. Some areas went through a lot, others are relatively clean, but it's nothing crazy. Not too impressed with those flat yellow emissive headlights though! :0

Chairs: Same camera stuff as with the dreadnaught. I would rather look at the chairs on the top left rotating slowly than a static image, even though it does look nice.

Weapon: Modelling and bake quality looks good, but some extra roughness details and small wear & tear could really push this further. If you are really into weapons, I would make a new thread with it.

Website: Feels like a black/darker background could be a little more professional looking. Dreadnaught and Weapon banner backgrounds are really rubbing me the wrong way. Looks like you went crazy with a size 20 grey brush in photoshop.. Honestly solid colors or faint gradients are fine. For the weapon you could probably crop the second screenshot and be done with it.

The Hobbit Hole banner is covered in green! I know that if you crop that piece into a banner size it will get rid of a lot of it, but IMO it would still be better.
  • TheRod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheRod polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the in-depth feedback! will look into those ideas! will post changes as soon as I make them.