Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3D student in need of critique!

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
kevinjohnxson polycounter lvl 2
Hello Polycount Community!

This is my 1st thread on Polycount! Just to introduce myself to the community, I am currently a sophomore Game Art student at LCAD (undecided between character emphasis and environment).

While on summer break, I'm challenging myself to complete a few props and learn the basics of Zbrush to start character sculpting.

It would be greatly appreciated to get any pointers/critique to make my work the best I possibly can!

Thank you!

This is the Midpoly of Prop 1 before I continue on to the High Poly.

Reference
ULxGTir.jpg

Mid Poly Block in
d44AHDd.jpg
eQIsGRy.jpg

Replies

• 3dReaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dReaper polycounter lvl 4
    Good start.

I noticed two aspects you could work on.

First you modeled geo on the lenses when the ref images show no physical ridges.

Second, the cans should be modeled into the main canister, see below for ref/tips.

Hard Surface Topology Reference Archive

http://imgur.com/a/dEWXP

Be sure to add the weld detail to the piece, this will really add to the overall prop.

Lastly, I am not 100% sure but looking at the ref image, the lantern on the right, and on its left side, the part with a cylindrical-like detail, isn't that a door? I would imagine that is where the user would place the fuel or light the lantern. It looks like you only modeled a frame of sorts.
  • kevinjohnxson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "First you modeled geo on the lenses when the ref images show no physical ridges.
    Be sure to add the weld detail to the piece, this will really add to the overall prop.
    Lastly, I am not 100% sure but looking at the ref image, the lantern on the right, and on its left side, the part with a cylindrical-like detail, isn't that a door? I would imagine that is where the user would place the fuel or light the lantern. It looks like you only modeled a frame of sorts."

Thank you for the critique.
    For lenses I was using the left lantern with the details on the lens rather than the right lantern which is plain.

As for the weld detail would that need to be done in zbrush? I'm not really sure how that would be modeled in once I have those smaller canisters connected to the main canister.

Also, the thing that looks like a door on the right reference. I zoomed in very close and personally I don't think it's a door? Maybe a way to hang it? I tried looking for more reference of this lantern and wasn't successful.
    Here is a similar looking piece from a different lantern though.
    $_59.JPG?set_id=880000500F
  • 3dReaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dReaper polycounter lvl 4
    Ultimately it is your work so if you see something else and want it a certain way that is fine.

Also another example with the door opened a bit:
    3911a4f656338b19d2e1dd9b1cc6257f.jpg

Weld detail would be done in Zbrush, it can be done in other programs.
  • kevinjohnxson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some high poly progress.

Went in and modeled the smaller canisters onto the main body as well.

Going to try to add welding texture into the High Poly as well. Need to learn some basics of zbrush first though.
    qSzYvwg.jpg
  • kevinjohnxson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added welded seams to the canisters in zbrush.

jmZYHXP.jpg
  • kevinjohnxson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more progress.

Working on normals in nDo on low poly. Trying to find the right font for the little plaque.

aLJwqTG.png
    TUpqIjH.png
  • Stavaas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stavaas polycounter lvl 3
    Hey man that's looking very nice! Can you show a wireframe?
  • kevinjohnxson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not the prettiest render, but here's a quick screen grab of the wireframe as requested.

jCUByj4.jpg
  • Thomas Clewley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thomas Clewley polycounter lvl 4
    Its looking promising so far. Your wear marks seem off to me, they seem to be the same marking on both the metal body and the glass lenses. Those materials don't damage the same. While metal would deform from pressure, it would buckle in slighting while glass being more rigid and would fracture rather than buckle. I suggest ether making the scratches on the lenses a lot softer so they are more hair line scratches or begin to think about broken glass.

Think about the different materials and how they react differently from each other from the same sources of wear.
  • kevinjohnxson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Thomas, I'll work on getting more convincing wear for the separate materials.
  • kevinjohnxson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on texturing now. I didn't realize just how saturated everything was until uploading. Getting a little rainbow effect on the metal because of it right now. Going to tone it all down a bit.

I want to add emissives still as well.

StoVxLx.png
    j5sHs3E.png
  • NickWilliams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NickWilliams polycounter lvl 4
    Prop is coming along. The rust kind of looks like its just applied all across the object however. I'd recommend putting some paint on there. like 75%Paint/25%Rust would look better in my opinion. And make sure your wear is pulled a bit more towards the edges where most abrasion would potentially occur. Consider how you will attack those lenses as well. They're likely glass or maybe even plastic. An opaque "lamp lens" texture with proper material settings may suffice, but adding in the lamp's interior to be seen THROUGH a glass lens would be a lot better. Of course you would have to go back a bit to do that. So your call. :)

Looking forward to seeing this in engine with proper lighting! ;)
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    It is a bit saturated right now, but a bigger issue is how close roughness values are between the metal and the lenses.