Home Quixel Megascans

AWAITNG CONFIRMATION: Weird DDO Tiling Noise

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
Hey there,

the Mesh loads up fine until I pick a smartmaterial and this happens:

Schermafdruk%202015-05-21%2018.jpg?dl=0

It seems like the material might be tiling itself even though tiling is not on.

Replies

• PlateCaptain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi MisterSande,

If you click that Folder icon next to the texture name, it should bring you in to look at the different textures that make up the smart material.

Play around with the Scale sliders on those inner textures, and see if any of them change that tiling noise. I'm not sure why one would be set so high as a default, but it looks like that might be the case.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi!

Actually your texture density is way off, all those little squares is a the entire texture, so it tiles hundreds of times. Go to the reimport import button on the main DDO window and change the Texture density, take whatever its set to now and divide it a couple of times, for instance if its set at 4096 try setting it at 512. Here is a snippet from the Wiki:

Texel density refers to how many pixels per square meter your texture should have. 1024 is a bit off the charts in this instance. If our demo asset is 8 meters long at a density of 512 pix per meter, we need a 4k texture map. Keep in mind how close the camera will get to your mesh to determine a proper density.

You can find the whole guide [URL="http://quixel.se/usermanual/quixelsuite/doku.php?
    id=ddointro"]here[/URL]

Hope this helps and let me know if there is anything else!
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply guys.

I tried lowering the texel density and the scale parameters but with no avail. The strange thing is that the default DDO chrome material looks fine. As soon as I select a different material it starts tiling like crazy.

EDIT: As soon as I switch the "CryEngine" setting to "Ue4" everything works fine.
    Weird ! Is this a common problem ?
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is no default chrome material, I think what you are seeing is a bug that occurs when there is a problem with the input files. Would you mind trying out the sample files and see if you have the same problem then, thanks!
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Eric. I tried different input files and it gave the same result. Somehow it is related to the CryEngine 3 preset being bugged. I just use the UE4 settings and the tiling goes away.

Sadly the Quixel suite has become completely unstable for me anyway.. it literally keeps crashing minutes after I start texturing. There is no particular error message except the default "Suite has stopped working".

I just spoke to my friend who is trying out the Suite as well and he has similar stability issues.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterSande - Okay we shall look in to the Cryengine preset.
    About the instability issues, have you tried the lateast patch from here

Also there is a few things you can do to ensure better stability:

-Run The Suite and PS as admin
    -Make sure there is enough space on scratch disks and C:
    -Make sure PS undo states is set at a low number, preferable 1
    -Don´t save projects on network drives
    -Make sure there are no non-alphanumerical characters in the path name to the project or the suite install.
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually think most of the crashes are related to 3DO. Whenever 3DO loads it will not load the right material until I change the color of the material.

When I do simply do not load 3DO I will not get any crashes (atleast so far it is good).
    hm2.jpg?dl=0
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just tried to create a project with the Cryengine profile but it didn´t tile for me. Could you open the project that has the tiling issue, click "Reimport input" button in the main DDO window and double check the texel density?