Home Dota 2

Dragon Knight set

juraiknight
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
juraiknight polycounter lvl 3
So, I'm creating a Dragon Knight set. It's been a long time coming, but I'm making headway. I've recently started a new technique on painting textures, which is definitely a weak spot for me in the overall process of things. I'm showing what I have so far in hopes that maybe I could get a few pointers or advice on what I'm doing. Personally, I feel like there's something missing in my textures, especially when I compare it to other pieces of work from other artists. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Side note: I'm aware there are some areas on the the texture where the shapes don't match up with the model itself. Unfortunately I made the mistake of texturing the LOD1 first using the AO and normal bakes from the sculpted model...l..o......l....

[sketchfab]792790f657c5470ca614280d0a7af947[/sketchfab]
Sketch Fab Dk by ericavacado on Sketchfab

Replies

• Swaggernaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swaggernaut polycounter lvl 2
    Your texturing work is actually really great! I understand how you feel if the texture doesn't really look that similar to the other artists or it it doesnt match up with the base model. take the crimson wyvern set for Dk for example. the colors aren't really the greatest but it came out very nicely in the end and it eventually got accepted. Don't feel that discouraged if your stuff doesn look similar to other artists; that thought will realyl just bring you down

Maybe one thing I would say is to replace the burgandy kind of color on your set and replace it with the red that you see on the base model's kneepads. I think that would help it blend more into the base model. Otherwise great work so far! Keep it up! :D
  • juraiknight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well thanks for the boost in confidence there Mr. Man! Unfortunately I'm always comparing myself to other people's work. But more so now since I'm doing something new with the way I paint. I'll definitely try the brighter red on the new armor to match the base model and see what that looks like. I kinda think that maybe there's TOO much gold? Sometimes I'll zoom out to try and mimic the game perspective...and sometimes I feel like the gold blows everything out since the borders on the armor itself are so thick...but then again, that could be just me. #artistslament ...yeah...I just brought a hashtag in on this. Deal.
  • kendmd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendmd polycounter lvl 5
    I think the colors are just too desaturated.
  • juraiknight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I could definitely see the colors being desaturated. I've always had a problem with either colors being too saturated or not saturated enough lol
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    i also think the texture itself is totaly not bad. but its a matter of making the colors fit into the heros colors palette. and another little thing that might be good for u would be if u create a gradient map and put it on top of ur textures, so the head and shoulders become more bright and the lower set parts turn more dark.
  • juraiknight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, the gradient was something I was going to add for sure. I'll tweak the color hue a tad and see if maybe that's what I'm seeing that looks off.
  • Chaos Prophet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks like default
  • juraiknight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks like default

In what way? Design or color?