Home Technical Talk

3D Max Cut Tool Problem

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
D4N005H polycounter lvl 6
Hello again, I tried to cut a polygon with "Cut" tool (in the right click menu or in the edit poly menu in the Modify stack) but a weird problem occurred, You can notice the problem in the image below:
2ptba09.jpg

The cut tool starts cutting from one of the near vertexes.

However, "Quick Slice" tool is working great. But I need "Cut tool" to be working properly,too.

Note: Snap tool (as you can see in the image) is off.

Replies

• pixelquaternion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelquaternion polycounter lvl 6
    Hi there,

Try working in orthographic view since the cut tool is more reliable than the perspective view.
  • D4N005H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your reply but I am working in orthographic view (as you can notice in the image, the viewport that I was working with ,shows
    and not [Perspective].)
  • pixelquaternion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The cut tool is very finicky with certain angles and also you can use the graphite tool that is more predictable.

Regards Peter
  • D4N005H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Would you explain more about "graphite tool"? Already Google searched and found out that it's actually a group of tools but I don't know which one is same as the "cut tool" one.

EDIT: I found where the "cut" button is, tried it and the result is unfortunately same as the last scenario.

o0v41g.jpg
  • D4N005H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've merged the scene in a new scene and problem solved. An old trick but worked like a charm. :)
    i70mys.jpg
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    When using cut tool, the mouse pointer will change depending on which sub object are you hovering over (whether vert/ edge/ face), so make sure the mouse pointer is edge before you click to start cut.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    I think this is a bug with units in max. Sometimes it thinks what you're working on is very small and as a result the snap distances are too big. Another solution would be to create an instance of your object and work on that, though if merging into a new scene fixed it completely then that's great.
    Also yeah orthographic view is much more reliable.
  • D4N005H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel wrote: »
    When using cut tool, the mouse pointer will change depending on which sub object are you hovering over (whether vert/ edge/ face), so make sure the mouse pointer is edge before you click to start cut.

Thanks for the remind, I always am careful about that.
    Joost wrote: »
    I think this is a bug with units in max. Sometimes it thinks what you're working on is very small and as a result the snap distances are too big. Another solution would be to create an instance of your object and work on that, though if merging into a new scene fixed it completely then that's great.
    Also yeah orthographic view is much more reliable.

Yup! I manipulated the system and file units in 3DS Max and changed them to CM, MM and swapped between those units several times. Maybe that caused the problem.
  • pixelquaternion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi D4,

It is call Pconnect and it work similar to the cut tool but i found it more reliable just give it a try and look at the various shortcuts for it.

Regards Peter
  • D4N005H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pconnect? okay. thanks for the info.

Thanks all.
    later.