Home Technical Talk

Substance Designer Normal Map not working

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
illbleed polycounter lvl 6
My normal map after being baked shows up black? any idea what i did wrong?

I changed the map type under Bake Model Information to World Space and the results were the same.

I froze transformation before exporting and nothing still. I posted in the official forums and i haven't had any help from allegorithmic :[.

Replies

• pixelquaternion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelquaternion polycounter lvl 6
    illbleed wrote: »
    My normal map after being baked shows up black? any idea what i did wrong?

I changed the map type under Bake Model Information to World Space and the results were the same.

I froze transformation before exporting and nothing still. I posted in the official forums and i haven't had any help from allegorithmic :[.

Hi there,

Make sure you have uv on the low poly and if you have them then sometime just restarting SD did the trick for me.

Also the position of your low poly object can do this if the frontal distance is not reach by the raycast, you can manually export a cage if you want to be sure or play with the raycast distance setting until it work.
  • illbleed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not exactly sure what raycast is. I'll look into it in the morning. Restarting SD didn't help. Any recommendations for alternatives to texturing other than substance designer/painter?
  • pixelquaternion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    illbleed wrote: »
    I'm not exactly sure what raycast is. I'll look into it in the morning. Restarting SD didn't help. Any recommendations for alternatives to texturing other than substance designer/painter?

Hi,

raycast is only the calculation that is done to reach a certain distance.

And honestly SD is great since you can export your material setting to your game engine of choice but it is way slower and sometime cumbersome compared to the good old traditional workflow with photoshop.

I have been working and teaching 3d and 2d for game and an artist that know Photoshop very well will always be faster than the current offer on the texturing software market.

Also photoshop is only 9.99 monthly so there is no more excuse not using it.

I currently use SD but very often i have to go back to photoshop for fine tuning.

regards Peter
  • illbleed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,

raycast is only the calculation that is done to reach a certain distance.

And honestly SD is great since you can export your material setting to your game engine of choice but it is way slower and sometime cumbersome compared to the good old traditional workflow with photoshop.

I have been working and teaching 3d and 2d for game and an artist that know Photoshop very well will always be faster than the current offer on the texturing software market.

Also photoshop is only 9.99 monthly so there is no more excuse not using it.

I currently use SD but very often i have to go back to photoshop for fine tuning.

regards Peter

Thanks Peter!

I'm starting to learn more and more from other posters and reading information. A lot of things you can't learn in school because of the amount of time. I'll keep experimenting on my own.
  • pixelquaternion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Illbleed,

You are welcome, but keep in mind this is only my own opinion and they are no right or wrong way to work as long as the production time and result are obtain in a lean way.

I see many loosing an awful amount of time trying to reproduce a complicated pattern in SD when a good picture with the pattern would do the job in a fraction of the time.

For experimenting that is fine but on a real production pipeline this would not be acceptable and cost too much.

Don't trust all the video tutorials out there since i saw many taking way too much time and using wrong techniques with zillion of unnecessary mouse click and keep in mind that a lot of artists will one day experience RSI and this is very serious and can lead you to be force to change career.

Experiment like you say but always question yourself if the workflow can be simplify in some ways.

Regards Peter
  • BeachBum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeachBum polycounter lvl 4
    I am having the same issue with my normal map and occlusion map showing up black.  I am using the mesh by name baking approach.  I am using a cage and I have no scaling issues.  My Uvs are in 0 to 1 space.  My LP is an FBX and my HPs are obj. exported from zbrush with Grps turned off.  Can anyone think of anything else that could cause this issue?