Home Contests & Challenges Archives Reallusion Game Character Animation Contest

RGCA Best Character - The Balrog - JasonJ1968

Hi folks, my name is Jason and this is my Balrog-inspired character. I want to make a scene from The Fellowship of the Ring one day and I'll need this guy in it!

I started by building a character in DAZ. I'm new to DAZ but what I was looking for wasn't too difficult to manage.

DAZ%20Character%20in%20DAZ_zpsvb9bp2lg.png

I used 3Dxchange to bring the character into iClone, where I could finish detailing him. I added horns to his head, wings to his shoulders and then I covered his skin with video textures I made.

Balrog%20in%20iClone_zpsikmizjhb.png

I created a lava animation using Visual FX software (HitFilm Ultimate). Then I used this video as both the diffuse texture and the glow map for his skin. The lava animation changes shapes and fades like glowing embers.

Balrog%20Test%2002_zpspraqeyy3.png

I also added some digital fire behind his wings, but I'll need to tweak that a bit further. There are various dust and smoke particles attached to his wings- so all the clouds that you see are naturally generated by his body movements!

Balrog%20Test%2001_zpsg2dpn30i.png

The physics-based whip behaves as it should, it's composed of rope constraint objects in iClone. There are only about five strands here, there should be several more, and I probably should add some "deflectors" so that the whip doesn't pass thru his body when he pulls back...

Balrog%20GIF%2002_zpsfbh2qhvb.gif

Hope you enjoyed that!

Replies