Home Quixel Megascans

3Do / Marmoset disparity

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
dickiegriffin polycounter lvl 5
Hi Polycounters

Okay so I've just had my first stab at texturing in DDo & want to see about doing some nice renders in Marmoset (another tool I've not used before).

My question is, Why is their such a large difference between my 3Do preview render & my Marmoset Render, even though in DDo, I told it to calibrate the textures for use with Marmoset. Any pointers would be appreciated.

thx

screen07.png

screenshot002.png

Replies

• Devil_Inside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should always use the same skybox in both tools if you're comparing results.
  • dickiegriffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can you specify your own external skyboxes in 3do? it just seems to give you the option of 5 default ones
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    As mentioned above, try to make sure that you're comparing with the same IBL content otherwise you're bound to have differences.

Other things you can try:
    1. check to see if Toolbag is treating your textures as sRGB in the texture options.
    2. use the Toolbag2 app link to preview your progress throughout the texturing process, that way you'll never need to switch and compensate for differences. What you see is what you get.
  • tach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're using the Marmoset 2 calibration for exporting the flats then that's your issue there. Ddo tries to compensate for the differences in color space by brightening your albedo which causes this. I asked months ago about it and they said that they were working on a bettter approach.
  • dickiegriffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the advice guys. appreciated.

Hard to tell from the skybox previews in 3do, but I think they are the same as some of the presets in Marmoset. Thought I think in future I'll forgo 3do & just preview directly in marmoset via App link. I did notice my eported diffuse looking looking a lot paler & ended up darkening everything a pit. I'll try some of the other calibration profiles in future.

thx

screenshot001.png
  • Bee-Bee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Almighty_gir gave the best advice. 3do's previewer is so out of sync with marmoset that it's not worth the trouble using its viewer unless you're using the viewport masking feature imo. Even if you sync the skybox you still have these issues:

1) 3do isn't using the same ggx or same blinn/phong as marmoset does (marmoset's seems more accurate )
    2) You can't rely on the auto-calibration export profile for marmoset exports. It brightens your albedo and provides the wrong curve on the gloss map.

Even if you use marmoset you still will typically need to tweak your gloss map and spec map so that it fits within marmoset's values and most pbr engine's values (quixel's default values have some weird clamping even when you disable calibration ). In general, this means your gloss map will need to be a bit brighter and spec color a little darker from the testing I've done.

Links to skyboxes(hdri maps) used in both programs in this thread:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151674