Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

What is frowned upon in the idustry

Hey guys!,

Just wondering what are the main things which are frowned upon when it comes to 3D game artists and the industry in respect of workflow and what applications/methods should you, should not you use/do?

Would be interesting to hear some feedback from the pro's

Cheers :D

Replies

• RogelioD
    Offline / Send Message
    RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
    As far as workflow goes, you can usually do things "your way" as long as it is:

Time effective

Efficient

Doesn't cost the company money

and

Doesn't contradict pillars of the Art Pipeline

A lot of times it is about the end result. But these are all things that should be explained to you either through an introductory period or training. You won't always be lucky enough to get on the job training, but at the very least a lead, or Sr, will go through ALL of this stuff with you. Preferred worklows, pipelines, and methods. Its really not something to worry about.

Also, here is another thing that may help down the line. Just had this blog post published by Gametextures and I feel like it may help (if not you, then someone else reading the thread)

http://gametextures.com/blog/2015/05/12/tips-from-a-pro-rogelio-delgados-journey/

Cheers!
  • PolyLove
    Awesome thank you dude! :D

Iam working on my portfolio to apply for junior positions in 12 months time and just wanted to know what they usually look for!

Some portfolio pieces Il do highpoly - topology - bakes etc and others il just use Quixel suite + texturing skills :). Going to also some in Cryengine 3 and Unreal engine 4

Just so my portfolio shows flexibility and shows iam a quick learner, hopefully + nice wireframes and texture maps will land me a position!
  • HitmonInfinity
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    In my opinion it pays to be flexible with your preferred pipeline. If the studio has a particular technique, naming convention, or standard try your best to conform to it. Even if it isn't your favorite or the "best" method, go with the flow anyway. If everyone is on the same page it usually makes things much easier, especially if assets are changing hands a lot.

I see a lot of guys get hung up on "their way of doing things." Some artists forget they're a member of an art team and the end result is a finished game and not a portfolio piece.
  • PolyLove
    Hey guys sorry for late response!

Really appreciate your feedback! :) kudos!.