Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

How would do you approach cliff modeling?

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
AlexBes polycounter lvl 4
Hi guys! I'm new to environment modeling and now exploring techniques for modeling cliffs like the one on the picture below.
I attempted to model this as separate stones that was sticked to the terrain in the editor, but it's not even close to what I was going for.
I would like to hear any tips and tricks you use to model this type of cliffs. Thanks!
foto10.jpg
Here's my attempt:
7be07-clip-228kb.jpg

Replies

• MisterSande
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
    It really depends on the purpose and size of the environment. If the environment is pretty large (like part of a big lake environment) then I would generate a coastal terrain inside of worldmachine and texture paint it inside the desired engine with some tiled materials. You can then add minor props like river rocks/grass etc. (you already did this pretty well)

If it is a smaller environment then I would treat it like an asset but I would still start out the same way: generate a coastal terrain inside of worldmachine > then import it into Zbrush and manually sculpt adjustments > bake it down > texture etc.

You can also start out inside a modeling program like 3DSMax, first doing some simple plane extrusions and then "Extrude along spline". This is very usefull in production if you already have a "base terrain" but need to add new geological features like this lake. I haven't tried it yet but I bet you get great result if you import your mesh (after "extruding it along a spline" ) inside of worldmachine to get natural erosion.
  • AlexBes
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for quick response!
    Environment is quite large and this cliff is just a small part of it.
    Haven't tried world machine yet, I'll give it a go. I'll post some pics if I get something reasonable.
  • dystopianghost
    Offline / Send Message
    dystopianghost polycounter lvl 11
    AlexBes wrote: »
    Thanks for quick response!
    Environment is quite large and this cliff is just a small part of it.
    Haven't tried world machine yet, I'll give it a go. I'll post some pics if I get something reasonable.

Normally I get the base mesh/silhouette in Maya/Max and then move to zbrush for higher detail. World builder can help for sure but normally I try to stay away from it unless its a large scale environment.
  • AlexBes
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm stuck with this cliff. Tried a number of different approaches but can't get nothing decent. Can you guys share a couple of pics of your cliffs with wires?
    It would be really helpful if you could visualize steps of your pipeline (what the model look like in maya, zbrush, world machine, etc).
    Also maybe you could advise some games with this type of environment?
    Thanks!
  • Umbrafoxus
    Offline / Send Message
    Umbrafoxus polycounter lvl 3
    Hey some good stuff to look at is The Last Of Us art dump by rogelio, there is some very weathered cliff edges which may not be completely what you're looking for but it shows the shapes and texturing you may be able to apply to your edging.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122359&page=2
  • AlexBes
    Offline / Send Message
    Umbrafoxus wrote: »
    Hey some good stuff to look at is The Last Of Us art dump by rogelio, there is some very weathered cliff edges which may not be completely what you're looking for but it shows the shapes and texturing you may be able to apply to your edging.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122359&page=2

Very helpful, thanks!