Home Quixel Megascans

IN PROGRESS: BUG: DDO not creating materials I define

PixelApocalypse
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
PixelApocalypse polycounter lvl 8
Hi,

Not a long time user yet but I'm kinda done with this package. Paid for 2 licenses for school but it never does what I want. Very pissed off user right now.

I have a very simple mesh with no normals or AO. I just want to create some easy different materials. I define them in the ID map (manually color the shells in photoshop) but it just doesn't create my materials. Done it several times and it seem quite random what materials it's going to create. It just does whatever it wants. For some reason I also get 3 extra black materials while there is no other black in there except the background.

http://puu.sh/hKnOE/9b1fbd220f.png
http://puu.sh/hKnT4/0a269d188e.png
http://puu.sh/hKo0f/ca4fd84325.jpg Where are my other materials?!

Why is this happening??

Regards,
Pixelapocalypse

Replies

• Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi Pixel, I just tried to do exactly what you described in your post and I get very similar results.
    May I ask if you are running the latest patch or the "standard" 1.8?
    We have to look in to this, a big thanks for reporting this and apologies for the troubles!
  • Gutterpunk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'm have this exact same problem. i have a mesh with 30 UV islands though after I set up all the links on the ID map and create the base it only ever creates materials and masks for 5 or 6 of the UV islands. although i do have both normal and AO maps added.

I also wonder if this is related to a problem i'm having with 3DO. on different mesh, 3DO will only display the normals that i have created on a portion of the model. on the rest of the model it places a highly reflective texture instead of the standard grey matte.

i'm going to attempt a reinstall to see if that makes a difference.
  • PixelApocalypse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eric,

Yeah i'm running 1.8. Haven't seen any patch updates in a while so I guess i'm completely up to date. Also gonna try reinstalling it. Haven't heard other school mates complain about this though. Seems a lot are either running the legacy version which seems to work way better (and also seems to have a lot more standard materials and presets compared to the suite?) or they are running v1.7 of the suite.

Regards,
    Pixelapocalypse
  • Vipera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vipera polycounter lvl 2
  • PixelApocalypse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've also experienced this with the file I was working on Vipera. Initial creation was fine but after saving and opening masks were completely white.
  • PixelApocalypse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eric,

Do you have a solution for this? I'm also experiencing the same problem as Vipera that is having of the disappearing masks.
  • Gutterpunk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i was able to fix my problem. the issue lies somewhere in the color id map. when i originally created the color ID map, i used xnormal to bake out a base texture then took that into photoshop and assigned all the UV islands with different colors or manually painted the area's i needed with the pencil tool. i took care to make sure that there weren't any gradients that would confuse Ddo and make excess masks.

this time i used the transfer maps tool within Maya to create the color ID map. Ddo recgonized the UV islands just fine and created all the masks that i needed.

i hope this helps.
  • Gutterpunk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i also discovered that even though the materials aren't generated when creating the base, the mask are still created. you just have to create a material manually, then click the little square to the right and choose the corresponding mask for the correct material ID.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay so a lot of questions here.

Gutterpunk I have to ask what kind of model you are making that required 30UV islands :O

The Color ID should always be a flattened PNG without anti-alising and ONLY solid colors, preferably on a black BG.

The issue of the materials not being created is something we´re looking in to right now, no fix at the moment.

The issue of masks turning white I believe is a separate issue, would all you who suffers from this issue try to download a sample project from here and see if the problem still persists!

If any part of the model turns chrome then there is something wrong with the mesh itself, or if you have mulitple meshgroups the inputs for that particular section have not been inputed most likely.
  • PixelApocalypse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eric,
    I had a different not long ago and you asked me to download the sample model for that too. No problems with the sample models whatsoever.
    I tried creating a super basic normal map, and even adding that didn't work. There is something either completely bugged or i'm not understanding ddo. It just won't create my materials I select in the ID map. Do I have to bake in colors in my 3d package? I am just painting my ID colors in photoshop by selecting and then filling the area. DDO recognizes this just fine. It just doesn't create the materials I define. Now not even with a normal map assigned.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i don´t think you´re doing something wrong I think you´ve found a bug in DDO. We´re looking in to it right now, but for now I guess the solution for you is to create the project first and then add the materials manually. What I usually do is I use 3DO and the C+shift+leftclick command to access the material library, then when I add the material I hold "alt key" so that 3DO doesnt have to render the new material, I usually add a bunch of material before I let 3DO refresh, that way its fast and easy! Hope this helps some, hopefully we can sort out this bug soon!
  • PixelApocalypse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It must be something I'm doing wrong since it doesn't even work now when I connect a normal map in it as well. This seems the basic functionality of the program, I should think more people would experience this error if it's a program wide bug. If find it strange that it wasn't discovered earlier.

I am currently trying to use the same method as you by adding the materials manually and then assigning the mask according to the ID. although it's weird because I can never find the same number of materials found when creating the links in the ID map compared to the material browser. there are less materials in there. Also this gives me the problem as described in an earlier post where the masks will become completely white when reloading the project later.
    Hope you will come with an update soon because this program is unusable for me now.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im really sorry but I´m not following.. this is not the issue of materials not being created? this is something different?

The reason why you find less materials in the browser is because not all of them have been added, the materials from the list in the ID selector represent a PBR value if the material has not yet been created.

The issue of the mask turning white has been fixed with the stability patch that you can find here
  • PTRCreative
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Guys, I'm getting this same issue as well. Have been through the forums and tried everything that has been suggested, from patches, to flattening pngs. Ddo loads up, I put in the required textures in the base creator, and then hit create base and then this error pops up "0x80042260"

It seems to happen when ddo is Preparing Masks Stage.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks

Pete
  • PixelApocalypse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eric,
    Sorry if I was unclear. It is the same problem.
    What I meant was that originally I ran into the the problem when not loading any normal maps and with more than one material. Now it seems the problem also occurs when I load normal maps and more than one material.
    But this is the basic functionality of the program, I find it unbelievable that I discovered this bug with so many users that's why I was wondering I was maybe doing something wrong. Adding materials manually works. Good to know this mask bug is fixed now.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PTRCreative - Does this happen when you use one of the sample projects from here

PixelApocalypse - Oh yeah sorry, misunderstood, there definitely seem to be some sort of bug. Good thing manually adding materials works at least. To be perfectly honest, the whole color ID/adding materials in basecreator system is undergoing big changes for the next release, so I doubt I will be able to get anyone from the devteam to do a patch for it. Really sorry if this is causing big troubles for you :/ Do you have any ideas how you think we can improve the system for next release?
  • Sammy101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sammy101 polycounter lvl 6
    PTRCreative - Does this happen when you use one of the sample projects from here

PixelApocalypse - Oh yeah sorry, misunderstood, there definitely seem to be some sort of bug. Good thing manually adding materials works at least. To be perfectly honest, the whole color ID/adding materials in basecreator system is undergoing big changes for the next release, so I doubt I will be able to get anyone from the devteam to do a patch for it. Really sorry if this is causing big troubles for you :/ Do you have any ideas how you think we can improve the system for next release?

Hey Eric I haven't posted in the thread yet but I will be now. I am having the same problem where I have about 20 materials I identify, and when I go to create the project, some of the materials are missing. Is there any update on when the issue might be fixed?

edit: My Color ID is a PNG also, yet when I link my materials through it, every one of them is undefined. I used the FBX Color Swatches and followed the tutorial from Victor on Youtube, yet I have to manually assign them every time. And finally do you know when this update is coming out? I really want to delve into DDO but with this problem I am stuck.