Home Adobe Substance

Any way to get luminance variation in a B&W bitmap/mask?

Nexinumbra
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Nexinumbra polycounter lvl 12
Is there any method for adding luminance to a black and white bitmap? For example, I have made a solid black and white image (not like a height map with gray values but more like a mask) that I am basing much of my substance on. What I'd like to be able to do is to add the luminance variation that nodes like Tile Generator are able to do, except using my custom mask that can't be run through a tile generator since it's not tilable. Basically take the white values and give them variety.

I hope that makes sense. :) Thanks for any help that's offered!

Replies

• Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    What kind of shapes would you want in your mask? You could simply multiply a tile generator with the luminance variation setting over your binary mask.
  • Nexinumbra
    Offline / Send Message
    Nexinumbra polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks for replying Jerc. For example, let's say I wanted to make a stained glass window made up of unique shapes. So it wouldn't just be a random assortment of blocks/circles/shapes but it would be a loosely defined shape. I'll use this as an example - http://paintedlightglass.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Bosque-close-up-frog.jpg

In order to accomplish this I would make a black and white line image just tracing the basic outlines of the frog. The window panes would be white, the solder would be black. My intent is to make the substance parameterized so I can put in a new mask in order to make multiple stained glass windows. But, as stained glass is not perfect, I would want to randomize the individual glass panels.

What I'm looking for is basically a way to take a black and white image and to randomize the luminance of the white areas so that I can have some variety. I hope that helps. :)