Home Marmoset

Add light problem.

quad damage
Offline / Send Message
kanga quad damage
Win 8.1

Loading the diving helmet scene works perfectly so my system and card are ok, so I am missing something basic. Adding a light via the top menu makes my scene white. The light is an omni but changing the brightness only changes the scene from flat white to flat black. Nothing else is visible. Also the manual says you can change the light type to spot but I dont see the checkbox anywhere.

Which buttons am I not pressing? :) Thanks in advance.

Cheerio

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello, could you please post some screenshots of the problem?

You can change the light type in the light properties where it says Type, above Cast Shadows.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Hi EarthQuake, thanks for the speedy reaction. Here are some screens. After finding and changing the light types I got to see the scene but the model itseld is fairly light and the maps are 2K and the scene is chugging. With that info I get the feeling that it isnt marmoset at all, I think the problem is my video card, a GeForce 250. Drivers are up to date but I think he might be too ancient for the job.
    Omni
    marmo01.jpg
    Spot
    marmospot.jpg
    Directional
    marmodirect.jpg
    The white sphere looks like an artifact unless its a feature.

Cheerio
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The white sphere indicates the size of the light, for the area light feature. Turn the Width setting down and the sphere will get smaller. Also, turn off visible shape, and it will go away when you de-select the light.

Area light performance is dependent on light size, so very large lights will cause poor performance, again if you turn down the light size, that should help.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Thanks for the reply.
    Playing with the sizes of all the controls I can find for the omni light doesnt fix anything. The model looks really bad in the viewport. The normals dont seem to be displaying properly and they are straight exports from quixels ddo. The shadows are hard and the maps are not popping at all they seem flat and lifeless and nowhere near the quality they have in the default max 2015 nitrous viewport so I am guessing there is still a problem with my card because I have tried all the map options.

I tried the previous version of toolbag long ago and it was brilliant, reading reviews calls the software intuitive but after some hours of troubleshooting I still cant get it to click. I have seen the most incredible renders from toolbag 2 so I am going to call it a case of new computer for me!

Thanks EarthQuake you help is really appreciated.
    Cheerio
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Please upload a copy of your model, scene and textures and I will take a look and try to debug the problem. Thanks!
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Thanks EarthQuake.
    I am not able to send the model but I did discover what was up with the textures. Normal maps straight out of xnormal look great in toolbag. Textures from ddo that are 'undefined' show badly so I am sorting that out. I guess the omni will have to remain a mystery for the moment.

Thanks!