Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Medieval Inn (UE4)

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
fullchaos13 polycounter lvl 6
****Latest Progress Report! (second page, fourth comment)****
NtgJCiv.jpg

Wassup guys, here's a little medieval inn/house that I've been working on the past few weeks. Based off the awesome concept from Greg Westphal in the 2D Concept Bank.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133572&page=5
9YqOHVV.jpg

My biggest goal with this project was retain as much of the concept as I possible can in my final piece. Although it's not 100% accurate to the concept, I'm pretty happy with it thus far and I'd say its about 95%.

I'm also doing this to learn UE4, as I have very little to no understanding of UE4. The final piece will all be rendered inside UE4 but right now I just quickly threw everything together inside of Key Shot.

My goal is to create a very stylized feel, leaning towards the way Dark Sider's game look.

Currently I have just finished creating the base mesh of all the assets (everything is nice and modular :D). I created all the meshes using strictly Blender.

---Front/Left Side View---
33aiSov.jpg
u1BGl2v.jpg

---Right Side View---
4miZhYI.jpg
AXZtqpD.jpg

---Back Side View---
ZacHDKd.jpg
7G4DkDm.jpg

I'm ready to call the base mesh just about done, so any comments/critiques would be really awesome

Replies

• fullchaos13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have also finished sculpting one of the two doors (The one seen just under the big sign in the front view, and the balcony on the backside). Once again any comments/critiques would be really helpful. Here's a few quick ZBrush renders (was too lazy to throw it in Key Shot haha)

iONPZao.jpg
    4qQhesA.jpg
  • proximity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    proximity polycounter lvl 9
    Looks great buddy keep up the good work!
  • AlanGreyjoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn that's super!!!!! The detail is all over the place :)
  • fullchaos13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    proximity wrote: »
    Looks great buddy keep up the good work!

Thanks mate, means a lot :D
  • Greg Westphal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greg Westphal polycounter lvl 9
    Looks great man! I love seeing this. I also painted it so if you want to check that out I'll provide the link http://works.drawcrowd.com/assets/images/000/253/354/large/1425407274.jpg?1425407269
    I like what you've done with the cellar and the barred window along the ground.
  • locater16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 polycounter lvl 8
    That blockout is... great! More please.
  • fullchaos13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great man! I love seeing this. I also painted it so if you want to check that out I'll provide the link http://works.drawcrowd.com/assets/images/000/253/354/large/1425407274.jpg?1425407269
    I like what you've done with the cellar and the barred window along the ground.

Daammnn I love the painted version, it's actually very similar to the color scheme I planned on using. Will definitely use it as a reference once I begin coloring it.

@locater16 WILL DO BOSS!
  • KaiserJohannes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KaiserJohannes polycounter lvl 2
    Looks super cool already!
    I got a couple of questions: Is that your blockout or highpoly... or already your low? If its the low already how many tris is it - will it be?
    Also, how long did it take you so far?
    Can't wait to see the finished product!
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Nice Concept, nice Model! This will be very cool :)

Curious about how you will handle the Wood Panels.
  • fullchaos13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @KaiserJohannes The first few shots of the house itself are pretty much blockouts/basemeshes if you will, that I will proceed to use as a base to sculpt on. I'm not too sure about the final polycount and to be honest I don't really care as I'm aiming for this to be a portfolio piece and I won't be willing to sacrafice detail for polycount. As for how long it took, roughly 1 month working an average of 1 hour a day.

@Gazu Ughh the Wood Panels is actually my biggest fuck up. I was planning on having everything be very nice procedural and modular, but the wood panels although modular, are not as modular and optimized as they can be, so instead of having to only sculpt and texture let's say 5 different types of wood panels, I'm going to have to do something like 30 (yaaay great fun :l). Here's a quick picture showcasing what I mean.
    31EfA8o.png
    Each color represents a custom and individual piece of wood that I will have to sculpt, and repeat it across everything of the same color. Obviously this is only show casing a small part of the house. As you can see, if I planned things correctly ahead of time, instead of having 10 different colors, I might have only had 2. Oh well, it's too much work to fix this mistake and I'm just going to continue as is.
  • fullchaos13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update. I've been working on sculpting a few more assets, here they are.

Stone Steps seen at the front of the house:
    tnsPr5E.jpg

One of the four windows, the darker shaded plane is currently acting as a placeholder until I create a glass material inside UE4:
    FuuYVPh.jpg
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    The wood is nice but the stones look way too soft
  • fullchaos13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The wood is nice but the stones look way too soft

Yeah now that you mention it I see how it looks way too soft and wavy. I re adjusted one of my layers in ZBrush and I think it's looking much better now.
    mAZBQDS.jpg
  • Scrambled3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good so far, can't wait to see the rest!
  • fullchaos13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good so far, can't wait to see the rest!

Thanks buddy :D. Comments like these are definitely keeping me motivated
  • oreoorbitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oreoorbitz polycounter lvl 9
    I´d be impressed by just the base mesh, Keep it up man, I like the style. What are you going to use to texture it?
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    @Gazu Ughh the Wood Panels is actually my biggest fuck up. I was planning on having everything be very nice procedural and modular, but the wood panels although modular, are not as modular and optimized as they can be, so instead of having to only sculpt and texture let's say 5 different types of wood panels, I'm going to have to do something like 30 (yaaay great fun :l). Here's a quick picture showcasing what I mean.
    I know what you mean, im creating a medieval house,too.
    The Wood Panels are really Fucked Up ^^
    Because you need some different types and every time its the same fuckin ^^ technique in zBrush ^^

Trim Dynamic for the Edges, ClayBuild and Trim Dynamic for the Normal Bump, Orb for the Wood feel ^^

Actually when you make just 1 Panel, you can use it 8 Times for a different look.
    You can rotate the panel 90° , so you have 4 different Looks.
    When you rotate the Panel then on the Head 180° you can also rotate it again 90° and so you have 8 different panels made of one ^^

time is money bro :cool:
  • PacoCasares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PacoCasares polycounter lvl 11
    Looks great. I need to work on a similar style with the doors soon
  • fullchaos13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @oreobitz I'm going to use ddo to get the hand painted texture look. I'm really bad at manually painting hand painted texture and recently I discovered a workflow that produces really good stylized textures in ddo.

@Gazu Yeah I'm already feeling burned out on scultping the wood just from the few assets that I've already done.
  • Greg Westphal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greg Westphal polycounter lvl 9
    Nice work man. I love watching this grow. Its cool to see how you're breaking it down. I've actually done another house like this in zbrush but its far easier if you're only doing it to concept instead of bake because you don't have to worry about how things look at the UV level. The stylization is really cool and I'm digging your wood.

Really looking forward to seeing how this comes out.
  • fullchaos13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright guys quick progress report. Sculpted a couple more assets!!! I'm getting much faster at sculpting now, but still too slow compared with how much work I still got left.

Sign at the front of the Inn. Couldn't think of a good logo design so I just opted with our favorite little green guy :D. The PolyCount Inn, sorta rolls off your tongue, doesn't it :poly124:.
    gcZnBgy.jpg

Cellar entrance seen at the back of the house.
    t8K6iMo.jpg

I'm feeling a bit burnt out on the sculpting, so I'm going to begin retopoing my current sculpts, uving, baking, and slowly start the texturing process. After that I will throw everything into Unreal and see how things turned out, Yikes...
  • fullchaos13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work man. I love watching this grow. Its cool to see how you're breaking it down. I've actually done another house like this in zbrush but its far easier if you're only doing it to concept instead of bake because you don't have to worry about how things look at the UV level. The stylization is really cool and I'm digging your wood.

Really looking forward to seeing how this comes out.

Thanks buddy, really means a lot!
  • Gadorian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gadorian polycounter lvl 7
    Hi, nice work so far. I realy like your metals, they look so clean and hard. when i sculpt metals, they end up wobbly and squishy.
  • fullchaos13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gadorian wrote: »
    Hi, nice work so far. I realy like your metals, they look so clean and hard. when i sculpt metals, they end up wobbly and squishy.
    Hey mate thanks for the kind words, the thing about metal is the process for sculpting it is very similar to that of bricks/rocks, except alot more toned down. Just a simple trim dynamics over the edges (I personally prefer flatten brush), then chip off a few sides using the same brush but with a higher focal shift, finish off by giving some slashes with orbs cracks or dem standard. Also I find when it comes to stylized texturing I find less is more.
  • Stavaas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stavaas polycounter lvl 3
    Hey man, it's looking really great! When you sculpt, do you make a base mesh in Maya or Max, import and sculpt in zBrush?
  • AbKI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AbKI polycounter lvl 6
    Nice!

All looks really clean so far, looking forward to seeing the bakes!
  • fullchaos13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stavaas wrote: »
    Hey man, it's looking really great! When you sculpt, do you make a base mesh in Maya or Max, import and sculpt in zBrush?

I make the base inside of blender! Blender master race!!!

Also the 6 pictures you see in my first post are all base meshes that I directly import into zBrush
  • fullchaos13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok guys!!! So I just completely finished my window asset, and I was hoping I could get your opinion on it before I texture the rest. All textures currently at 2048 (I'll probably downscale to 1024 when I import things into UE4), current tri count is 1428. All texturing was done inside dDo and I plan on cleaning the texture up a bit manually inside of photoshop but I just haven't had the time yet to do so.

NtgJCiv.jpg
    Rendered inside of 3Do
    kbFWrJH.png
    yihAoKi.jpg

Also try to ignore the empty space in the middle, I will be creating a glass material once everything is inside of UE4.