Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Darth Revan (SWTOR Timeline)

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Sanek94cool polycounter lvl 5
Basically, this is my first model I spent time on most of the aspects.
The concept of Darth Revan comes from one of the SWTOR Timeline videos, I used it as a reference.

I used 3ds max to make low-poly, then with UV it comes to Zbrush for creating details and baking, then I did skinning and simple rig in Maya. All textures (except Specular, didn't do this one) and meshes comes to Marmoset Toolbag 2 for rendering.

I guess I made a lot of mistakes on this one (no Specular map, strange density of polys, lighting on render etc.). I would be glad to see any reasonable critique and feedback.

darth_revan__star_wars__the_old_republic_timeline__by_sanek94ccol-d8ime5l.jpg

darth_revan___wireframe_by_sanek94ccol-d8imels.jpg

Replies

• skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    before i critique i just want to be clear, this has 59k poly? That is not a typo ?
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan Powell polycounter lvl 5
    Looks really nice man! :) I'd forgotten we're getting a new Star Wars film soon!

There's nothing stopping you going back and making a specular map for it. In fact I'd suggest that you do unless it's an artistic decesion not to.

59K polygons is very dense - I've heard of AAA using like 30K polygons for a character (I think The Last of Us used around that many for the main guys), and with that level of detail you'd definitely have a Specular pass too.

Have a look at using a PBR workflow - you use Metalness/Microsurface or Specular/Microsurface. Typically I'd recommend using Metalness as it's what Unreal 4 uses, and it's slightly more efficient (and easier to get a hang of IMO). :)

http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-practice
    http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-conversion
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Ease up on the boot topology density. You don't need that much, and it's uneven with the rest of the character.

Looks like a good base, but yeah, you're going to want to pump out some specular / gloss maps to make this shine.
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan Powell polycounter lvl 5
    To be honest you might be able to go back and just delete some of the edge loops without destroying the UVs. In 3DS Max you can use the "Preserve UVs" checkbox on the Editable Poly modifier which will usually stop some distortion. Especially on the arm plates which really don't need 9 edge loops running through them in my opinion - I think you could hold the silhouette fine with like 4. :P

The thighs/upper leg have tonnes of edge loops too - could probably half that
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    looks like the boots are 90% of the tris count. that isnt right, unless the game has some weird focus on boots in cinematics, or the game is played as that little robot chewie scares
  • Sanek94cool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sanek94cool polycounter lvl 5
    Wow, so much replies! I really appreciate that, thanks!

I wan's sure about how it will look like with smaller ammount of polygons, so I added more. Now I see it wasn't a good choice, so in future project I hope I can fix it and keep a good silhouette :)
    Dan Powell wrote: »
    Looks really nice man! :) I'd forgotten we're getting a new Star Wars film soon!

There's nothing stopping you going back and making a specular map for it. In fact I'd suggest that you do unless it's an artistic decesion not to.

59K polygons is very dense - I've heard of AAA using like 30K polygons for a character (I think The Last of Us used around that many for the main guys), and with that level of detail you'd definitely have a Specular pass too.

Have a look at using a PBR workflow - you use Metalness/Microsurface or Specular/Microsurface. Typically I'd recommend using Metalness as it's what Unreal 4 uses, and it's slightly more efficient (and easier to get a hang of IMO). :)

http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-practice
    http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-conversion

Yup, it's coming and I already planing to make helmet of new Stormtrooper for 3d printing :)

When I did this I wasn't sure how to do Specular. Now I'm using DDO and basically have a chance to finish Revan's Spacular. But not sure.

Also, I wasn't so similar with PBR when I just done. I was surprised about how good model looks like with such texture pack. Still, I don't see a big difference in terms of usual texture maps, but I'm going to study further, thank you! :)