Home Technical Talk

Maya smoothing alternatives?

YellowYeti
vertex
Offline / Send Message
YellowYeti vertex
First i want to say sorry if this is on a wrong board i'm new so if it is just tell me and i'll be glad to change it.

But back to the original question, i'm still learning maya so i'm not an expert by all means on it, and when you click 3 to smooth it i thought that was all you had to do for smoothing but i recently came across something that said that was just for my benefit to see how it looked smoothed before it goes in a 3d engine, so i'm wondering if smoothing it with the 3 key doesn't register on a game engine how would it get smoothed in a game engine/ rendering, and if there is an alternative. I do know about the smooth button but i felt that adding all that resolution would end up being a problem after a while. Thanks!

Replies

• m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Go into the Mesh menu, and use the smooth command. Although I don't know why you would be smoothing your game meshes. Typically the workflow is to bake the smooth mesh down to a lower resolution model that goes into the game.
  • YellowYeti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YellowYeti vertex
    m4dcow wrote: »
    Go into the Mesh menu, and use the smooth command. Although I don't know why you would be smoothing your game meshes. Typically the workflow is to bake the smooth mesh down to a lower resolution model that goes into the game.

Oh i did not know that, i always assumed that just smoothing it would work, as you can see i'm still a novice when it comes to the workflows of things and game engines, which i am changing.