Home Quixel Megascans

IN PROGRESS: App constantly crashes, 3DO results much different than Marmo 2/Unity

Hey,

So I recently convinced my studio to get a couple of quixel suite licenses. I had used the old ddo and liked it (though it crashed sometimes, not even close to this) so I thought it'd be a good idea. Also the entire logic has changed, kind of annoying.

Using Photoshop CC with latest update, along with marmoset and Unity with latest update.

Here's my issues:

Product is incredibly unstable. I've been working with this app for the past 3 days and have had over 50 crashes. These crashes happen seemingly randomly- when I simply open and setup a new project, when I save a project, when I click a mask, using the reimporter function, when I save a material out, when I click a different tab. I'd get these errors, 90% of the time it was that middle one http://i.gyazo.com/550bf5deb5ee3a1c250c0bfc09d66e34.png .

3DO isn't accurate to Marmoset 2 or Unity, and I set up my callibration for both of these. The gloss is very different, things are much shinier in 3DO, the reflection values are different, just plain doesn't match up. This is huge. I spent 3 days to have super mediocre results in unity.

Cross-app function doesn't work at all for me. I tried using this after getting fed up with the calibration being different. Read the long-winded documentation to find mine simply doesn't do anything in both unity and marmoset 2.

Reimporter didn't work once. I wanted to tweak my color ID map- tried this around 6 times and it didn't work anytime. Not only that it corrupted my entire project and I had to start over again. 6 times. nice.

Saved materials didn't save properly. The curvature I had edited on them didnt save and seemed to reset to default. Along with that they'd randomely inherit the old color ID map and not the new one, as I saved materials to counter-act how much this app crashed/corrupted on me.

3DO kept showing my model w/ only chrome. I think the stability patch fixed this. I find it rediculous I had to search so hard for the patch by the way, why isn't this included in the main download? I just downloaded the entire program monday.

Mask editing terminology: curvature paramteres are strange as hell. Sharp Fine Soft Medium..etc- these are really hard to understand what they do...and each change would take about 3 seconds...adds up to making it really annoying to use. Also the Dynamsak editor constantly kept popping up in different areas including behind my 3do which was always ontop...pretty frusterating.

Overall reaaaaaalllyyy annoying experience. Hope these things get fixed.

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    I'll go ahead and say that on PS CS6 I have only occasional crashes, about as many as I do with Photoshop itself - so not many. But this is after I installed the latest update. Are you using this?

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150503
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Sorry for typos, i am on my phone

3do is most probably unity4 unless they updated. What stops you from using it directly in the engine, i mean it has th mode (which i forgot the name of) to work qith ddo as an on screen overlay, basically putting Photoshop in the background and you canvtweak your teytures in engine. In Marmoset that always worked for me.

It looks different due to many reasons. Different shaders, different lighting, different environments everything is different. People have to realise that PBR is not the golden cow and standardizes all. Materials will look and feel different in Unity. unreal, marmo or whatever engine. Metalnessworkflow is also just a lame dumbed down approach on texturing and everyone jumps on it as if it is the holy grail and will result in awesoooooooommme art by the push of a button. It does not.
  • loggie24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    loggie24 polycounter lvl 3
    3DO isn't really a good previewer. I hope they update it to something like a light marmoset viewer while giving it a few more options.

Turn of HDR in 3DO to avoid that shinyness. I hope to see significant improvments to 3DO when Suite 1.9 get released.

I don't have any issues with stability with 3DO, mostly DDO that crashes regularly. Luckily PS almost never crashes so i can just re-open the suite and my layers are still there. It isn't a very stable release, one of the reasons i get a bit angry looking at the days go by and nothing but "soon" and delays.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi DylanDon, I will try an answer your questions below

Stability/Crash - A few things you can do to improve stability:
    -Run The Suite and PS as admin
    -Make sure there is plenty of space on the PS scratch-disks
    -Reset PS presets (make sure nothing is lost that you want to keep)
    -Lower undo states to 1
    -Never save projects on network drives

3DO inaccuracy:
    3DO Will change in the coming releases, and hopefully be more accurate towards other engines/Renderes. Since alla methods of rendering obviously are different its tricky to get it spot on, that is why the cross app function is there, could you provide some more information to where as it doesn´t work?

Reimporter didnt work/corrupted project:
    This is very serious, I would love some more information to how it corrupted the project, we need
    to look i to this ASAP as I´ve never heard about this before.

Saved materials didn´t save properly:
    would it be possible to see the layer stack of the materials you are trying to save? If I understand it correctly you used the Dynamask-editor and changed some curvature values but that wasn´t saved in your material? did you make masks from scratch, or did you use some of the presets, did you use any custom maps?

3DO kept showing my model w only chrome:
    This is a input problem, it usually happens when the model isn´t exported properly from the 3d package, or when it is saved on a network drive. Making sure there are no non-alphanumerical characters in the path to the project is also vital.

Mask editing terminology confusing:
    To my knowledge people seem to like the way it is now, but of course this is a matter of personal preference, and if you don´t like it then I´m sorry, I will pass your opinions on to the Dev-Team.
    If it takes too long to do changes in the Dynamask editor, remember that you can alwas bypass 3DO by holding down the "Alt" key as you pull the sliders, if you want to do multiple changes before previewing them. Also, what I do is I normaly hide 3DO while in dynamask (Clicking the 3d icon on the main toolbar) and work directly on the texture, its much faster. And when you´re close to desired result you bring 3do in to the mix.

Many of the things you mentioned are being worked on for future releases so yes, they will be fixed. But in the meantime I hope you find a way to work with the program and hopefully some things in this post will be useful to you. Let me know if you have any more questions!