Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Carbon Freezing Chamber

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
PhilG polycounter lvl 5
Final piece for my individual project at University. Not all the construction process is shown, most of that is on my university thread, just a general breakdown.
I have tried to make my own interpretation of the outside area surrounding the chamber, in the actual movie it is very dark, and shows a second chamber behind with a few wall lights. A few of the models made are from my imagination or inspired by models in games.

I am currently finalising the level for hand in next week and creating some flythrough videos.

Final Shots
Umx6hsp.jpg
Vqs8O33.jpg
uRRmlFr.jpg
eL4WVzN.jpg
myvOkl7.jpg
fC6g2eP.jpg
Gd7mRid.jpg

Production
The most challenging part of the project was scale, and how the area fit together. Luckily I managed to purchase the Star Wars Blueprints book which was invaluable in sorting out how it all fit together.

The usual method was done beforehand, composition was worked out and a few paintovers highlighting various elements. You can see above that one of the final shots changes the composition from one of the movie stills below. Where the camera has been angled a bit to the left, and the central pit and steps placed into the centre, rather than the pit being in the lower part of the image.
5cAKxez.jpg
6izGXaQ.jpg

LOsSGo9.jpg
Working out which models would be modular and which would be unique.
TIW923a.jpg
rVz6x8I.png
6OGkELM.jpg
CxiEDGL.jpg

Before I managed to get the blueprint book this image was especially useful, I never knew that the walkways were curved until I saw this above shot.
C75SKN4.jpg

This piece by the late Ralph McQuarrie was also very useful as it showed the construction without the distraction of the lighting or smoke.
z0wCKAw.jpg

Replies

• PhilG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhilG polycounter lvl 5
    From the blueprints three images were made using Coreldraw to construct some vector images. This was then overlaid in 3ds max and UE4 in order to get the pieces properly aligned.
    1QprGot.png
    nK5sz1M.jpg
    ndmcmA6.jpg

Start of the blockout with meshes.
    Unlike my other projects for uni, this one used the basic meshes to start with. Usually I start with a BSP blockout of the area to work out size, jumping distances, and layout. But in this instance as I was working to scale from a blueprint it felt unnecessary.
    MfQ71UU.jpg
    i2MOdBV.jpg
    The walkway would change later on to be more curved and more detail.
    3CmZLH0.jpg

Trim Sheets
    oLmI99Z.jpg
    42hQBGi.jpg
    YyS0K8W.jpg
  • PhilG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhilG polycounter lvl 5
    Various model shots.
    Carbonite was toned down for the final model, these were just ones with frozen Tibana gas instead of Han Solo. In some cases I have used 3do to view the models, but the bakes were made using xnormal from a high poly model.
    Ndo was used in certain cases when a bake failed to work properly.
    Ex281ps.jpg
    AHi9KGB.jpg
    vEgnmeK.png
    40E0hzc.png
    cmTBMIL.jpg
    4UwHupB.png
    zz8aOUU.png
    SLoAsdJ.jpg
    hsR9MT3.png
    b6iONNN.jpg
    vu2fKrU.jpg
    PyiR20J.png
    5opvQPo.jpg
    1Ovcy7h.jpg
  • JCulley3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striking work Philip, the side by side shot comparisons to the movie are mind blowing, authentic but still presented with your own flare and style. The geometry workflow from high to low poly highlights some excellent bakes. The lighting is cleverly done, looking forward to seeing more from you!
  • Imasho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great Work, really well broken down and presented. You work flow is clear and detailed and the final result lighting especially is so close to the movie. One of my favorite scenes from it!
    Looking forward to some camera fly through.

Inspiring Stuff
  • PhilG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhilG polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks :D Yeah getting some nice panning, zooming and rotating shots ready for Gradex presentation ^_^
  • michael03151971
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am getting ready to build my own carbon freeze chamber.  Any ideas on what to use in order to create the smoke for the chamber?
  • michael03151971
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Getting ready to build my own carbon freeze chamber - what would be the best way to create the smoke and lighting for the chamber?
  • fruiz1706
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your work is really great, which makes me wonder where I can get your model to 3D print, congratulations on your work