Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

hand painted texturing and topology issues

vertex
Offline / Send Message
KiwiHead vertex
Hi guys I am working on a real-time character and I am kinda struggling with the hand painted/cartoony texture look. Here are some concepts I made for this guy:

Wwjg2lm.jpg
JzgJwHw.jpg

I am also quite new to +15k polys modeling, is this topology acceptable? or does it need major changes? any tips/help would be greatly appreciated!

W7ifXTE.jpg
dUtuAiR.jpg
BorahlX.jpg

feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Nekhro
    Offline / Send Message
    Nekhro polycounter lvl 5
    Love the concept!
    Colors needs much more cartoony love. You lost that nice black from the figure in concept :(
  • PacoCasares
    Offline / Send Message
    PacoCasares polycounter lvl 11
    Reminds me a little bit of darksiders, perhaps you can look at their artstyle? Personaly, the model could do with more brush strokes, more careful detail on the bones a little bit of fake baked lighting (red colours on the bone borders, shadows and defined lighting on texture) and a gradient indicating where you want to look at the character more closely (brighter at chest and head, and darker as you go down) You should go with a black that is almost black, but maybe with 1 or 2 % red at the dark bits. I think the king on this would be on working on a shader that illustrates a second texture when light does not hit it. And go with the likes of Wind waker. Good luck!

latest?cb=20100303171929
  • KiwiHead
    Offline / Send Message
    KiwiHead vertex
    Thanks guys, I made him a few tones lighter so I could accent some of his muscles a bit more with different tones... I will try with an almost totally black version with the red tones/brush strokes you suggested Paco. Regarding Darksiders, it was my main inspiration :)! Will work on those bones this weekend, thanks for the input!