Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

BMW 328 Hommage (help)

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
WindchILL polycounter lvl 4
It's been awhile since I've posted anything meaningful on polycount, so I thought I'd get back into the swing of things with a new model. This is the most ambitious thing I've ever attempted to make before so it would be appreciated if I got advice/critiques on making this look as good as possible: I've never made any hardsurface models OR tried PBR before but I'd like to change that. Here's the references I've gathered:

xEurY2P.jpg
aCFkicM.jpg
UPC18vl.jpg
tLxge2i.jpg

and here's where I'm at so far in the highpoly sculpt using zbrush:

0U7woPt.jpg
1Vfk06s.jpg
D6m5ynG.jpg
WjDK3C2.jpg
7PSG0tW.jpg
(the first 4 screenshots are not in perspective)

The way I've been going about making this are through iterations of sculpting the base shape, then retopologizing it into a better highpoly sculpt and adding more detail again (this is my second pass, gonna do another after getting a few more details in...really inefficient method I know, any tips on creating hardsurface details, esp the smoothness of the surfaces?)

Replies

• huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    You shouldn't sculpt hard surface models in Zbrush from the start, there's no way to get good results with this approach, you need simple control cages aka subdivision (or complicate yourself using trim brushes, panelloops and other features, but I wouldn't recommend it for this).

You can use Zbrush 4R7 with polymodeling, or any other software package like Maya or 3dsmax to make your mesh. You don't even need a Zbrush pass for this though.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    You should have 4R7 correct? Huffer is correct. You should use subdivision modeling. 4R7 has subdivision modeling now. The way you're doing it just looks painful. You will be able to control edges much easier and the results should be much smoother than using sculpting brushes.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    huffer wrote: »
    You shouldn't sculpt hard surface models in Zbrush from the start, there's no way to get good results with this approach - snip -

Very much debatable, but that is for another time. I do also agree though, especially when starting out with hard surface type modeling, that a traditional approach such as Maya/Max/Modo are the way to go for something like this. Would give you the control needed to get used to the difference stages, such as block out, first iterations of control edges, etc.

Start super low poly blockout and slowly start adding carefully placed edge loops. Initial edge flow is crucial for a model like this, especially one with such intricate curves and shapes. When I say low poly, I mean, low. Only add loops where its absolutely needed to get a shape across and then start building on top of that once you are happy with flow and shapes/proportions.

Nothing wrong starting with a quick sketch from zbrush to nail proportions tho, decimating, and then retoping on top of that to get a quick base. really depends on how you want to start out and what you are comfortable with.
  • WindchILL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll take starting with Maya into account next time trying to create something like this. I just want to be able to acheive a good highpoly render as opposed to jumping into texturing right after getting the low poly form.
  • WindchILL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message