Home Technical Talk

Painting textures (from photos) in zbrush -resolution...?

Jonathan85
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Jonathan85 polycounter lvl 9
Hello, i want to ask in zbrush you can paint using photos for realistic textures (using the spotlight feature), althought you cannot in zbrush paint "directly" on/to bitmap texture like in mudbox for example, you can paint to polypaint and convert polypaint to actual bitmap texture. The higher polygon resolution (the higher subdivision) you have, the more detail from the original photo you can capture on the painted texture. The polypaint is similiar to vertex color as far a i know...

So my questions is, can i get SAME results from painting a texture (4096*4096px) in zbrush as in painting it in mudbox? As far as i understand it, 4096*4096= 16 777 216 pixels. So if i need quality 4096*4096px texture i have to paint it on a mesh that has to have at least 16 777 216 polygons...?

1) Do i understand it right?

2) Would the 4096x4096px texture in my example would be in quality/sharpness etc. totally indistinguishable from 4096x4096px texture painted in mudbox? (which doesnt use polyapint but paint directly on a bitmap texture file)?

Replies