Home Quixel Megascans

SOLVED: Some ddo to marmoset discrepancies

flioink
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
flioink polycounter lvl 6
Hello , i`m relatively new to Ddo , i was texturing my latest character and encountered some problems with the exported textures.
I`m pretty sure i`m doing something wrong ,but couldn't find out what.
Here is my question : the metal texture looks pretty good in 3do viewer but when i export it an load it in marmoset it looks completely different.
I have tried several times with different options, i used the metalness attribute also without metalness, the result is the same, i lose the detail in the leather portion and the metal looks way different.
Any ideas?Thanks!

Replies

• Bee-Bee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The 3do previewer seems to have some weird curves applied that make it very difficult to match up to marmoset. It also blends the hdri cubemaps in a different way than marmoset does. Overall, it's mostly related to the gloss map but the spec color map also needs some tweaking. I mentioned similar issues here:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151674

Marmoset ggx gloss curve originally mentioned here:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138666

Keep in mind, if you are relying on flattened, exported tgas that are using a calibration export profile, ddo might apply curves/adjustments to them ON EXPORT in an attempt to match your desired viewport ( in this case marmoset). Unfortunately, I found that ddo's auto export curves it applies for Marmoset Toolbag 2 are pretty inaccurate and cause more issues than resolve.

The conclusion was to add my own custom curves via a custom export profile until this is fixed in an update.

This is just my 2 cents, I'm by no means part of quixel staff.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    The different skies also make a difference. For memory Tb2 and 3do share at least one sky (pisa courtyard) but it is still quite different between apps.

I think the most reliable way to use ddo is to use 3do only for colour id stuff and use the one click export and do all your viewing inside tb2. It's a bit slower, but not by much. I haven't tried cross-app link in awhile though.
  • Bee-Bee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah the hdri sky maps definitely make a big difference in addition to the other issues I mentioned. I recommend giving cross-app link a try again. It's pretty solid with toolbag 2
  • flioink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flioink polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks Bee-Bee and Bek for the answers, this is definitely something i wouldn't have thought of. Now the metal looks much more like ,well metal. I have to test more to get better results.
    I hope the devs fix this sooner.
    Also my last question so far is how you make the cross app thing work?
    When i use it all it does is exporting the maps and a shader, it does not transfer it automatically to the scene like in the videos.
    Possibly another glitch, or i`m messing it up?
    Thanks for your answers again :)
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Big thanks to everyone helping out!
    Flioink have you got it all sorted out now?

Regarding how the cross app should work, lets take Toolbag 2 for instance. You hit the cross app mode button, select toolbag from the list of apps and the calibration profile you want to use, Hit "link apps." Toolbag should now appear and a browser window containing the toolbag scene, all you need to do then is drag the file in to toolbag 2 and you should be all set!

Let me know if there is anything else!

Really nice helmet btw, hope there is an entire spanish soldier to go with it :)
  • ioster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've tried the cross app thing a bunch of times, and I can't seem to get a browser window with the associated files to pop up. I select Marmoset from the menu and set the calibration accordingly, and dDo does something with the files in photoshop that looks a lot like exporting. Are these files created somewhere I can just browse to? I'm mostly interested in the material. Can you do this with a dDo file in progress or does it have to be done at the project start? I'm using M2 v 2.07 and v1.8 of dDo. Thanks!
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loster - If you´re working on a big project, 8K or so, it takes DDO a few moments to prepare the files, but if the folder doesn´t show up it´s should be located where you saved your project, in the latest "Flats" folder, after that it´s a simple drag and drop operation in to toolbag!

I tested a few times myself and it appears the folder doesn´t pop up every time for me either, so I´ll add this as a bug to the dev-team, thanks a lot for reporting this!
  • ioster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you, found the files. I appreciate the quick response.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great that it worked out, We´ll look at this and fix it for the next release!