Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Serpentine19

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
serpentine19 polycounter lvl 7
Hey guys, my name is Kade Rickman and welcome to my 3D sketchbook. I've been doing 3D art for awhile now starting off in Blender then transitioning over to Maya while I studied for my Advanced Diploma in Screen and Media.

I don't get around to creating as much art as I want to, but the art I do will be going here from now on from works in progress to the finished product. Anyway onto the art!!

!Latest Update!
Oni Samurai - Sculpting phase complete

Replies

• serpentine19
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Something I really like to do is take items from cartoons or animes, basically anything that isn't a real object and try to make it real. This time I got sucked into Sword Art Online and thought I'd try my hand at recreating a couple of the swords. This is also the first time I have worked with the PBR workflow.

The Elucidator - 6ish Hours

ALCapNI.jpg

Turntable

YhFpie5.gif
  • serpentine19
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am still tweaking some small things with the Elucidator but I also started on the companion sword,the Dark Repulsor. This one is still early on and had some significant shapes to work out, mainly the hilt design. Textures are still super early on with model changes still occurring. As with the first this is done with the PBR method.

The Dark Repulsor WIP - 4ish Hours

9PuPNyN.jpg
  • serpentine19
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It been quite a while since I've really been able to sit down and do some game art. Again I'm still trying to get my head around PBR this time with Kylo Rens Light Saber, namely the hilt at the moment. I don't think its meant to be this shiny so I still have some playing around values to do plus detailing.

• serpentine19
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finer details have been added and then imported it into Substance Painter to test it out. Gotta admit, that program is pretty impressive, especially as I like to see real-time results as I work. This is currently a base texture, further scuff marks, scratches and general wear and tear are still to come. I also don't have a clear shot of the saber so I have taken added some stuff here and there. Still more to go into the cutout at the top i think.

• serpentine19
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spent the last week working on a new environment scene based on the Mars HAB in "The Martian". I'll be working section by section, currently working on the HAB entrance piece (the big white area). Going to have to work on the materials a lot more, the metal in particular needs more roughness and the monitors need less blue in their base.

Progress pics can be found on the portfolio page
  • serpentine19
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Playing around with landscapes, foliage and speedtree while creating this environment scene based on Curse of Strahds Yester Hill.

• serpentine19
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Took a step back to focus on one area of a character (face) instead of getting overwhelmed with the entire character. Still a work in progress but really happy with how its coming out. The strands of hair are still bothering me a bit, going to look into a way of making them look better.

Jaina Proudmoore

• serpentine19
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Retopologized and beginning texturing. Very rough render out with Mayas default renderer, just to see how it was coming along. Also was testing to see what kind of polycount i should be going for with the left one being 7K+ and the right one being around 2K (not including hair). Definitely looks like I will be going the 7K route, might be able to get it lower with a few passes on unnecessary topology.

• serpentine19
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Planned to start working on this during the Artstation competition but exams got in the way. Need to figure out how to do the hair in zbrush and the tattered cloth under the shoulder and waist piece.

• serpentine19
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the Highpoly minus the asymmetrical details that will come closer to the baking stage. Retopo is coming along nicely, currently sitting at an estimated 35K-40K polycount. Unfortunately I have hit a bit of a roadblock with the hair though. I'm not sure exactly what I should be doing with it, I've tried curve based planes but that creates a huge headache with UV's and overall time to completion. I also tried creating a master strip that would be UV'd and layed out as duplicates which brought me to another problem of the resolution for the cards being really quite small even when the UV is split to provide double the resolution. I might make a thread in the 3D forums for some help on this after I do some more searching around for answers to the problem.

Estimated Sculpt Time - 40-60 hours