Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Zbrush Rock study

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
hassensamaali polycounter lvl 8
Hi guys,
this is my rock study for a "God of War" scene that I'm working on.
C&C are welcome.
https://hassensamaali.wordpress.com/2015/04/21/work-in-progress-rock-study/
untitled.png

Replies

• NovaaH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NovaaH polycounter lvl 3
    It's kinda weird, detail make me think it's a volcanic rock, while the shape does not. It's like, it does not make me think of any rock I've ever seen in my life. See what kind of rock formation you're aiming for, and use some ref, but I think mixing surface from one with the shape of another is just confusing imo.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    What does your reference pictures look like? It looks very porous, which is fine, there's just a few kinds of stone that looks like that though. What's your end goal?
  • hassensamaali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hassensamaali polycounter lvl 8
    I was just trying to study how to make rocks on Zbrush.
    This is one of my references that i used to get how i have to proceed.
    1-10-11-charcter-rocks.jpg
  • avenali312
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    avenali312 polycounter lvl 8
    After looking at your reference, I think one of the big things you're missing is the large diagonal cuts where it looks like this chunk of rock broke off from a larger piece.

I think the overall shape is also very organic. Your reference has quite a few angular cuts in it. I'd try to get some of those in there.

Detail wise, I agree with sltrOlsson, it looks very porous as compared to your reference. It's almost borderline pumice.

Hope that helps.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Focus on the big shapes in your ref. You can add noise in a later step. Stay away from adding the same kind of noise all over.