Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Last Invader - Sideproject - Devlog

Replies

• JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome work Christian! Really love watching your project progress!
  • Cnc96
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cnc96 polycounter lvl 4
    Cnc96, from same tutorial as I posted earlier

Ah ok, I'll have another look through it. I've used the basic NavAgent to get a basic enemy to follow, but I suppose that using a system where a random point around the player is picked and then the enemy follow that so they do not always end up right on top of him will work?
  • Anthricus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthricus polycounter lvl 5
    This is looking awesome dude! Love the simple flat shared art style :) bringing me mad advanced wars vibes!

Keep it up !
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Particles looks awesome, how do you actually do them? are they sprite renders or 3d meshes or a combination?

would love to see a breakdown
    keep it up!
  • Cnc96
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cnc96 polycounter lvl 4
    lotet wrote: »
    Particles looks awesome, how do you actually do them? are they sprite renders or 3d meshes or a combination?

He posted a link to the projectiles in a reply to myself at the bottom of page 1. They're particle systems with an additive shader
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Cnc96 wrote: »
    He posted a link to the projectiles in a reply to myself at the bottom of page 1. They're particle systems with an additive shader
    oh, thats pretty cool, totally missed that, thanks!
  • Christian Nordgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Nordgren polycounter lvl 11
    @JasonLavoie: Thanks! Everything has gone surprisingly smoothly for being the most technical challenge I have ever done :)

@Anthricus: Advance wars artstyle is freaking beast. Just looking at the battlesprites makes me want to play!

@Cnc96: I am not exactly sure what you are asking, but in NavAgent you have options do make the object slowdown when he is approaching the player(called: stopping distance). I've also made some AI that they just travel randomly around the map but shoot at the player whenever they see him. It works very well if it fits the characters behavior.

@lotet: Most bullet projectiles is a just loads of particles(billboards) with short lifetime with a additive shader while dust, flames, smoke etc is just sprite material with a white texture circle which also behaves like billboards

---

Currently making posters! Will deliver wips soon! :D
  • Cnc96
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cnc96 polycounter lvl 4
    @Cnc96: I am not exactly sure what you are asking, but in NavAgent you have options do make the object slowdown when he is approaching the player(called: stopping distance). I've also made some AI that they just travel randomly around the map but shoot at the player whenever they see him. It works very well if it fits the characters behavior.

To be honest it was just me jabbering so it never makes any sense :L I'll play around with the various 'wander' and 'seek' behaviours to try to get some good AI behaviours :P
  • Christian Nordgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two beautyposter that I might use around :poly142:

nsZMgwg.png
    JaOEnZY.png

I kind of wanna make more of these but I also wanna finish start finishing everything :poly122:
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Not really liking the first one, way to messy and hard to see whats going on. the second one though is awesome! you should make a wallpaper version of that one :)
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone polycounter lvl 2
    other way around here :D like the first and think the composition could pushed a bit further
    only the robot (grey one) is looking in a bit awkward position but if the greygreen robot gets more contrast to its surrounding and bigger, so more focus for the eye it would make a great action shot!
  • Cnc96
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cnc96 polycounter lvl 4
    How did you manage to get the tanks to turn like you have in your game (when they stop and rotate if a turn angle is too large)? I've tried various methods of stopping an object, and then calling a method with rotates it towards the next position it needs to travel to, but none of them have worked :/
  • Christian Nordgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your feedback lotet and skodone! I've taken your feedback into consideration and made two new renders, they will be uploaded ..soon :)

Cnc96: I have all only used the NavAgent for whole movement for the enemies. Here is a copy of the tanks which has most acceleration-turning beahvior NavAgent setup
    Q7grT7N.png
    hope it helps!

My coding has been improved so much during this project. Making features like enemytracker was just a wishing feature for a couple of months ago. Now its implemented after just a few lines of code and will aid the player if he/she gets lonely :poly142:
    0urv2QW.gif
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    I think the enemy tracking is a cool idea, but I first though it was some sort of weird particle effect or auto shooting thing. I don't think it looks enough like a GUI element.
  • Cnc96
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cnc96 polycounter lvl 4
    @Christian Nordgren: Thank, that did help a lot! I guess I was just over complicating things again (like always haha). Never thought it would be that simple, now just to play around with the values :)

And I also noticed what @lolet said, the grey cubes which spawn at the start of the gif and fall to the ground seem a bit off.
  • Christian Nordgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @lotet: hmm, well if you have another suggestion I am all ears :)

@Cnc96: Good to hear! ::\ The greyboxes are something ...unrelated:poly108:
  • MattW
  • Christian Nordgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattW@ The main character is heavily based on Adam Baines scoutbot character.

I have been trying to contact him regarding about the character, but after a few weeks and not getting repsonse I've decided to make some minor changes on the character which I was gonna reveal later. :poly122:

XdO7roV.png

I assumed that you wanted me to comment about the design of the character-:poly136:
  • Christian Nordgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I got this announcement

mFlqiml.gif

Just a little updated gif of all the enemies in the game
    mmKw8eb.gif

tUrWqGI.png
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thats like effin nice to hear :D:D:D:
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    It looks amazing, and I can't wait for the release! =D Also thanks for the reply before, nice info regarding starting scripting in unity. regarding your tracking thing, why not have an arrow that grows the closer to the enemy you get? Because as stated earlier, your blob things look like particles, which seems rather confusing.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
  • Cnc96
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cnc96 polycounter lvl 4
    Can't wait to play this! Thoroughly enjoyed following the development of this project and it's inspired some of my work. :D
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    This looks like a really fun game to play and i've enjoyed following the progress made in this thread. Very inspiring as well, at some point I would love to attempt to make a game myself like you have.

Congrats!
  • Christian Nordgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone! :poly121: It has been surprisingly smooth so far! A few bumps but overall good experience!

I am currently mostly playtesting and adding small tweaks like mute buttons and stuff like that!

@Nuclear angel: About the "tracking blobs". I think they fit the style and I like how the shape up a little passage and are not 100% clear what it actually does but gives direct suggestions to follow the line :poly009:

@Cnc96: Thats really cool! looking forward see what you made! :poly124:

@Sugus: You should!! Really good stuff :poly142:
  • Christian Nordgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xoqswCa.png

What are you guys waiting for?!

PLAY THE GAME

(you can't use google chrome and possible have to download some javascript and then go ahead and refresh!)

Here is a video and gifs and shits :poly142:
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v_LbWv5GHc[/ame]

WInzZxr.gif

7vfJBhe.gif

Have fun!
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    noo, why do I need firefox? cant you make a downloadable version?
  • Christian Nordgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I clarified the description above:
    You can't use google chrome. Most others webbrowsers should work fine. I know for sure that mozilla works at least :)

Sorry I can't make a downloadable version, UI isn't compatible with different resolutions atm :(
  • SanderDL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
    Just use Unity's new UI system. It is super easy to make a resolution and ratio independent UI with it. Your game is too good not have standalone :)
  • Mirhale
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mirhale vertex
    This game looks awesome, a few additional environment assets and tweaks and it's all good, but so far it's great! reminds me of the vehicles in advance wars.

11809.gif
  • Christian Nordgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL:
    I am using Unity's new UI system but there are still UI that are way to small in larger resolutions :O I have learned the system on the go while making the game so it can be a little half-assed x)

@Mirhale: Yeah, it would be nice with more props as always :) I have been thinking making some sort of RTS game with same props, maybe :poly142:
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    The game is amazing! Well done and congrats on a finished release ^^ It has been a joy following your progress on this.
  • Edrice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edrice polycounter lvl 7
    Is there a way to customize the keys, because WASD on an AZERTY keyboard is impossible to play.
  • Christian Nordgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Nuclear Angel! :)

Edrice@ I have just implemented arrow keys for players using different keyboards. They are listed as alternative controls in the description! Hope this helps! :)
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Got to level 15, nice game!

I don't really like the upgrades though, it's kinda lame to upgrade weapons you don't have half the time. I would much rather it to be shmup style where grabbing multiple of the same weapon levels it up and makes it insane.

also! Please please please do more character anims, and make the run match the run speed!
  • Bruno Afonseca
    So charming! Congrats!
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    not working on opera :(:(:(:(
  • Christian Nordgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Muzz It has been noted!:) Would be cool to make a sequel or at least use same artstyle to another game! :D But I need to take a step back for sometime I think :O

@Bruno Afonseca Thanks! :poly142:

@skoedone: It seems opera web player on mac don't work but on windows :S That unity is a bit tricky! https://unity3d.com/webplayer

Here is a nurb-controller-tanglement
    yn5VgB4.png
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    some things i did not like as much

- the weapon system is not as obvious. I can upgrade things but have no idea when i get what, plus you sometimes are forced to use something, the whole upgrading things feels unfitting regarding the short length of the game. Also having icons of the weapon types in the shop would make it a lot clearer
    - I did not realize i could switch weapons until i saw it in a video, the icons look like a strange logo or something if you dont pay as much attention
    the play again button was blurry : P
    some of the ui is a bit messy but i guess nobody cares

aside that cool game
    the feedback and style is very nice
    you could also make randomly some enemies elite by coloring them and making them a bit bigger
  • Christian Nordgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback Shrike! :) I agree that the UI is the weaker element of the game. I have taken notes of your comments! I am itching to make a sequel but I still have some things to think through :)

NLvkwTs.png

The idea was to only put the game on kongregate, but I just uploaded in newgrounds because: why-the-hell-not. Sadly the game never made it through the 3.8 barrier which is very much needed to succeed at kongregate. :poly122:

While at newgrounds the game has done very well with 7500+views and still growing and is currently at the frontpage. To bad there is no highscore or achievements that can be implemented in the future because the newgrounds API does not support Unity games :shifty:

And there are also "illegal(?)" versions roaming the internet now, which is ..fascinating to see
    examples:
    http://www.superhry.cz/hra/8873-last-invader
    https://www.hackedarcadegames.com/game/20764/Last-Invader.html

Either way, I am happy that the game has not have any major game break reports for the release :) So I have been able to play Witcher 3 ... a lot.:poly142:
  • PixelBaka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is a great looking game.
    How did you make the explosion?
    Would it be possible to get the source code for learning purposes?
  • Christian Nordgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Post mortem/Report:

This is a post mortem of Last Invader, just a few last words before ending this portfolio piece so I can start on some other things!

First of all: I am very delighted how the game managed for being only a tech test. The original idea was to make it even more simpler, but from seeing a lot of people like the game I decided to push the game even more!

Last Invader was primarily released at kongregate.com and later on to newgrounds.com and gamejolt.com because I understood quite early that webbrowser games works better if they are widespread. There is possibly more sites that I am unaware that host unity3d games, comment if you know more of them.

Crazygames.com contacted me and offered me a sponsorship in exchange for banners for their website, which I was very happy to include, giving me a somewhat profit from Last Invader! The game was also taken by many web gameportals and put into their gamesite without permission, I would not say I am mad about it, I was honestly more surprised that it happen. But for future references I would advise trying to seal a sponsorship before releasing the game.

The game has not generated a lot of profit, mostly because it requires a very high user rate to become remotely profitable. Below I posted how much users approx I got from each site:

Kongregate, 8k plays = 7.66$ (API included) (no frontpage, unless games breaks to 3.6 and 3.8, currently at 3.5)
    Newgrounds, 23k plays = 21.79$ (Got to frontpage)
    Gamejolt, 3.2k plays(8k views?) = 4.73$ (Got to frontpage)

Then again, this project was never really about the profit, still good information to spread!

Lets play

A lot of lets players have taken their sparetime and made let’s play videos which has been pretty cool!

Some highlighted exampels::

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p08sQRVdFR0[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8kBWH8xEmc[/ame]

The biggest flaws about Last Invader I would say:

Gameplaywise:
    I don’t think a lot of people appreciated the forced weapon. I think that feature could have been done a lot better or maybe excluded from the game.

Replayability or making more levels is something that would be necessary and with a nicer difficulty curve.

And of course multiplayer, which would be awesome [the end].

Productionwise:
    Judging from what I knew before about coding I think I have made some pretty huge leaps. But 70% of the time has been coding and just trying to put everything together. I think there is definitely improvements to be made on the other disciplines.

I think its safe to say that the game has had it prime time over now. It's been super interesting seeing to see people play and I have some really solid ideas & improvements I would want to do if I ever get a chance to make a sequel. Currently I will spend most of my time Serious Sam’s Bogus Detour, which I have high hopes for!

I hope someone has learned something from this devlog and I want to thank you guys the compliments but mostly for the critique, feedback, consulting and idea throwing by the members from polycount!

- Chris
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice oen!

as a fan of the good old ss stuff ill definitely give it a hype too!

enjoyed the game! keep it all uP!

oh... will you make some devlog or updates on the ss game here too?
  • Holi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holi polycounter lvl 16
    thank you for this post mortem! The art is realy cool and desevrve all the attention he had :)
    good luck with Serious Sam!
  • Christian Nordgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelBaka: The explosions are just made with unitys particle system. Nothing fancy at all, I could give you the prefab if you want to look at? But I am not currently willing to share the whole project. Most code I have been using can be found at this tutorial: http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/projects/survival-shooter-project

Hope this helps :)

Skodone: Thanks man! :) No I am not responsible for the devlog on SSBD. It will only be found at seriouszone.com and forums.tigsource.com :) But I will probably do a artdump someday :)

Holi: Thanks mate! :D
  • PixelBaka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is this circle around the explosion also only a particle?
    It would be very great to see it :)
  • Christian Nordgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've used mediafire as a download link as I did previously with the bullet. Hope this will work for you PixelBaka! :poly142:

LastInvader_Explosion

Yes the circle is one particle expanding fast :)
  • PixelBaka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks
    It helps me alot.
    I mean this sphere from the rocket explosion, that interacts with the world.
    Yjs0ahr.png
    Yjs0ahr
  • Christian Nordgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    meme-are-you-kidding-me.png

I assume you won't need that prefab:
    Its just a sphere with some low opacity on the top that expands and then fades away in the particle system inspector.