Home General Discussion

The Relevance of Traditional Art in 3D Art.

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
daniellooartist polycounter lvl 12
Hello guys. I have something on my mind and it's been bothering me all night. I understand that 3D utilizes the principles of rhythm, form and lighting in much the same way graphite drawings or painting do. It would make sense to say that anything gained from traditional mediums can be applied to 3D. The only difference (at least for me) is 2D drawings can be made much quicker so I can learn faster. Right?

Last night I spoke to a very credible 3D character artist on this very subject. The individual said that a traditional understanding is irrelevant. I have looked up to this individual as both a fan of his work and a friend yet I this is advice is something I feel is necessary to crowd source. After using the search, it appears no one else has brought this up so here it goes.

If this is true, then why is it that every professional 3D artist I have seen is at least competent in drawing and painting? If this is true, then why does every university 3D program in the states require students to take traditional courses? If this is true, why do a lot of people say major developers such as Blizzard and Valve have their staff stocked with artist with a classical understanding? If this is true, then can gaining an understanding of lighting and structure through the sketchbook not carry over to 3D?

The one and only reason I acquiesce and pick up a graphite pencil in the first place is to improve my understanding of the principles that complement 3D skills. I have filled a few dozen sketchbooks in the past 2 years in addition to my 3D studies but I'm starting to think that it was a time sink. Is there any benefit to be had in a traditional medium if you are a 3D artist?

I have also noticed that when most 3D artist say they can not draw, they mean to say that they can't do gesture sketches like Rembrandt or female figures like Scott Campbell. I am sure that insanely high level of skill is unnecessary for 3D practice, but what about something as simple as general competence? Getting things like clean lines, proportionality and lighting at least somewhat correct? Is that even necessary for someone studying 3D?

Replies

• Goeddy
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    thats a loaded question, in short, it does not hurt to be good in 2D, but it is not strictly nessecary, depending on what kind of job you are aiming for.
  • The Rizzler
    Offline / Send Message
    The Rizzler polycounter lvl 9
    Hard question to answer. My view is that traditional art is and will always be relevant as a baseline skill for any type of digital artist (moreso for concept artists, not so much for e.g. texture artists) - I started out very technical, understanding the programs but found that I was reluctant to call myself an artist. Silly, since anyone that creates anything can technically be called an artist, but I didn't feel like a 'real' artist since I didn't sketch or paint or practice the fundamentals. I do now, and mainly started because I was told that with a good grounding in the traditional principles, even if the tools change and new programs become the norm, stuff like composition, value, proportion etc. will always be important and relevant. There have been sculptors that, after being shown for the first time how to use a graphics tablet and Zbrush, have come up with solid pieces within minutes.

I think as there's plenty of different kinds of artists, having a traditional knowledge will have varying worth for each individual. As an aspiring environment artist I think having a good grasp of composition would be good for organising scenes in an aesthetic way, or having a good idea of colour theory would help to balance or grade scenes, among other things. I still practice concepting even though I might never have a job where I design props or environments myself (instead realising already existing concepts but in 3D.) So it comes down to what kind of artist you want to be and whether you think these skills will help

You were right in looking for more opinions though, I'm sure a few others will chime in to advocate the usefulness of a traditional art background, I certainly recommend it but I'm hardly an established artist
  • LMP
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    The thing about art is... the principals.

Design, Color, Composition... these are what really matter.
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    LMP wrote: »
    The thing about art is... the principals.

Design, Color, Composition... these are what really matter.

ye
  • daniellooartist
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy wrote: »
    thats a loaded question, in short, it does not hurt to be good in 2D, but it is not strictly nessecary, depending on what kind of job you are aiming for.

I should have mentioned. I am into high end visuals and realism/hyper realism. I use to be really fascinated by GPU architecture since the G80 back in the day and it kind of stuck. Things like Ethan Carter, Star Citizen, Gears of War and Crysis are my aim and style.

Although it is outside of my scope, I am simply curious to know how important traditional painting or even work with colored pencil is to heavily stylized games with unique color pallets.
  • X-One
    Offline / Send Message
    X-One polycounter lvl 18
    I think what is important is understanding artistic principles. As you mentioned, practicing those principles is easier in 2d because it is faster to iterate on in many cases. I would agree that most 3d artists are able to illustrate their ideas in 2d, as most have some traditional training (self or otherwise).

I'm comfortable telling non-artists I can draw/paint, but would never claim to have 2d skills to a peer. That said, I typically start every personal project with sketches, as I find it easier to test concepts and ideas in 2D.

Bottom line, you don't truly need 2d skills to be a 3d artist if you have a great knowledge of traditional techniques and artistic principles. In my experience, working in 2d helps teach those things.
  • daniellooartist
    Offline / Send Message
    It sounds to me that as a realistic 3D enviroment artist, the best course of action as well as the most effective use of my time would not be found in the traditional mediums. I should no longer persue it. Does that sound correct? i just want to clarify.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Daniel, I guess have to ask regarding your situation, do you ever find yourself thinking or wanting to creatively solve something that you do not have any existing references for?
  • praetor187
    Offline / Send Message
    praetor187 polycounter lvl 11
    Dan I think you know what I think on this subject, traditional is still an important part of mastering 3d in my book, the programs are just tools, if your not capable of understanding the basics of traditional art then your always just going to limit yourself in the quality work your looking to make. I think it depends too on what kind of artist your looking to be. If your an environment artist they why are you spending your time drawing people (unless you just want to), draw the mountains and lakes and buildings. Traditional is important and valuable especially when you know what and why your studying it.

Plus im one of those artist that think to dismiss the importance of traditional art is a bit disrespectful to the old masters but thats just me. :\
  • gnoop
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop sublime tool
    Traditional art training teaches to see nuances otherwise even very skilled in 3d person could just misunderstand or overlook.

Remember "uncanny valley" theory . it's actually just inability to see and feel right nuances.

Traditional art had been exactly same "uncanny" before Renaissance era.

It took hundreds of years + Rafael Santi and Velasquez before human figures in traditional art stopped resemble lifeless robots. Then it just became a part of art tradition and school.

All that translates to environment art and textures as well. With traditional art you have to make constant non stop selection of what part/side of the reality is worth to be reflected.
    You just can't fine sewing everything in Zbrush manner up to microbe level so you have to do choices. And those choices often is much more important than amount of details itself.
  • daniellooartist
    Offline / Send Message
    Daniel, I guess have to ask regarding your situation, do you ever find yourself thinking or wanting to creatively solve something that you do not have any existing references for?

Yes. Ideally i would like to be able to work with limited references. Correct me if im wrong but i immagine AAA artist dont have a dozen peices of concept art for every prop right? I always find as much as i can for generic things like windows. Doors, tools, etc but i always immagine half the creatively designed props has to come from the modelers mind. Right?
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    tradional art training involves sitting around in boring art history lectures and going to the student bar a lot. I am well qualified in this area, but it did n't really help my 3d.
    i haven't done any real 2d stuff since about 1995 and have been a 3d guy ever since.

I am sure there have been numerous threads on this subject also