Home Quixel Megascans

ID_Map question

Victorcg
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Victorcg polycounter lvl 11
Hello. Is it possible to make ID_map mask more fuzzy when creating project? I have some blurry areas and it is difficult to create masks.

Replies

• PlateCaptain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Victor,

DDO only really works with ID Maps that have totally solid colors, no shading or gradients. If you have areas where you'll be blurring two textures together, you'll have to do that with the masks.

Since you're already in Photoshop, though, you can use most of the normal Photoshop tools to create and modify your masks (like brushes, gradients' etc) to help blur the textures together in the mask editor.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PlateCaptaion is absolutely right, the ID map should be solid colors with sharp edges, any "fuzziness" should be done in the Dynamask!
  • Louhikarme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Louhikarme polycounter lvl 4
    PlateCaptaion is absolutely right, the ID map should be solid colors with sharp edges, any "fuzziness" should be done in the Dynamask!

Eric, this confuses me a bit. by sharp edges what do you mean? I'm currently having very weird problem with color id map. it basically ignores colors and when i'm looking the basemateral_id_.psd file it has those colors made transparent, hence cannot assign material to it.
    however, in 3do if i click "C" the color will show there. but still cannot be assigned with this.
    I also went ahead and manually changed all the color to go with the colorswatchin quixel suite to narrow it down. but still it wont work.

so coming back to sharp edges, do you mean there shouldn't be any antialiasing going on in those edges either?

on the attachements you can see whats happening. i did bake the color id map with 8kresolution then downsized it to 4k map so i could get easy edges. is this the proper way of doing it?
  • Victorcg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank You for answers.
  • Victorcg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is it possible to reload ID map? It seems, that reloading changes nothing. I try to fix it manually inside project, but it also doesn't work.
  • PlateCaptain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Victor,

Yes, you should be able to reload the Color ID map using the Reimporter feature in DDO. If it's not working for you, could you post some screenshots of what's going on?

Louhikarme, what are you using to bake the Color ID map?
  • Victorcg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm. There is nothing strange on screenshots. Everything looks like it works, but it doesn't. I tried to manually edit file in project directory, but it doesn't work too. Maybe it is only local trouble.
  • Louhikarme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Louhikarme polycounter lvl 4
    Hi Victor,

Yes, you should be able to reload the Color ID map using the Reimporter feature in DDO. If it's not working for you, could you post some screenshots of what's going on?

Louhikarme, what are you using to bake the Color ID map?

Hi PlateCaptain,
    I think i figured out what i was doing wrong. i'm using blender to bake the colors from vertex colors to a low poly model.
    Main thing with this was that I was using first baking 4k maps which i resized to 2k maps. for speed purposes. and testing out.
    once i was satisfied what i was getting with the lowpoly model, i then did 8k bakes of everything. and then cleaned up few of the bake problems there was, doing so i used the fill tool in photoshop and normal hard brush, not realising that fill has AA on by default and the hard brush still make smooth arounnd it.
    hence i created loads of different colors with that. and quixel took the best guess what todo.
    Once i realised this, rebaked the the 8k colormap. cleaned it up in photoshop again, this time making sure there are no AA or blending going on.
    loaded up into quixel and it works now.
  • PlateCaptain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good to hear, Louhikarme.

Another method to do Color ID maps from Blender is to export the UV Layout as a PNG, then bring it over to Photoshop and create a layer underneath for the colors. You can use the Lasso tool (without any feathering) to draw around the different UV islands, and Edit -> Fill (or Shift + F5) to fill in the colors. I haven't seen any Color ID map issues with that method so far.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Louhikarme - Im glad you sovled it with Captains help! Ddo does indeed not like AA :)

Victorcg - Yes it is possible to reload the Color-ID map, just use the Reimporter button on the DDO main toolbar. Is your issue that you are doing that but the project doesn´t update?