Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Zbrush Hard Surface_Su-48 Gen IV Helmet Concept

Hey Polycount, unfortunately I dont post that often. Anyways, here is my latest 3D endeavor.

It all started as a quick practice/study to learn hard surface techniques in Zbrush, but quickly mutated into something that I felt needs to be finished and presented to the awesome people of the internet!

Design inspiration and surfaces reference comes from f-35 lightning helmet as well as some older soviet helmets.

It was modeled entirely in Zbrush R6.
Rendering and material set up in KeyShot 5, textures come from dDo2.

Hope you like it!

All the best,
Vladimir

vladimir-somov-calypso-final-2-s.jpg?1428974168

vladimir-somov-calypso-final-2-marco-1.jpg?1428974218

vladimir-somov-calypso-final-2-marco-2.jpg?1428974220

vladimir-somov-stylesheet.jpg?1428974222

Replies

• kornetic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kornetic vertex
    wow amazing. so much detail my mind is blown
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Nice, i like that it was done in R6, have you played with R7 yet?
    and if you have, any workflow sugestions you can offer to get a result like this? I'm having a little bit of trouble getting really high detailed hard surface meshes in zbrush.
  • nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nickcomeau polycounter lvl 4
    Wow, this is some great hard surface modeling in zBrush! I'd love to know what tutorials/references you looked at for the zBrush hard surfacing!
  • VladimirSomov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Nick, Zclassroom has a great helmet modeling tutorial.I know there are some great eat3D tutorials on hard surface sculpting,but I personally felt that Zclassroom was enough for me to get my hands dirty and actually start modeling while figuring stuff on the go.
  • Ahniketos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahniketos polycounter lvl 9
  • cookedpeanut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cookedpeanut polycounter lvl 12
    Very nice model, was the model dynameshed by subtracting and adding shapes or did you sculpt and refine the surfaces? Also, slightly off-topic but I love the background could you share how you made it? :P
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    amazing ... i hate you
  • apllana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    apllana polycounter lvl 8
    I am thoroughly impressed by your sculpting and texturing skills. Nevertheless, I would like to point out that the fabric detail on the scarf doesn't follow the direction it wraps and folds around the neck and it almost looks like it has been overlaid on top of the render. I hope you understand what I mean. It's probably not very noticeable but it certainly doesn't match the quality of everything else.
  • VladimirSomov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice model, was the model dynameshed by subtracting and adding shapes or did you sculpt and refine the surfaces? Also, slightly off-topic but I love the background could you share how you made it? :P

Thanks for the feedback. It was done with combination of different techniques; in most cases it was sculpt and refine first then zbrush retopology and then I would dynamesh and do all the high frequency details.

The background is very simple, its black canvas with some light gradients painted in the center, bottom and top of composition. I would add smoke, some dust particles and lens dirt and grime. Then I applied chromatic aberration, noise and iris blur to the entire image (helmet with BG). Key to this is to be very subtle ;)
  • VladimirSomov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    apllana wrote: »
    I am thoroughly impressed by your sculpting and texturing skills. Nevertheless, I would like to point out that the fabric detail on the scarf doesn't follow the direction it wraps and folds around the neck and it almost looks like it has been overlaid on top of the render. I hope you understand what I mean. It's probably not very noticeable but it certainly doesn't match the quality of everything else.

Many thanks for the feedback, Yeap I was waiting for someone to point that out, fabric texture was box mapped to the mesh in KeyShot, therefore I had to face all the downsides of not having custom uv's.
  • THendersonVFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THendersonVFX polycounter lvl 6
    nickcomeau wrote: »
    Wow, this is some great hard surface modeling in zBrush! I'd love to know what tutorials/references you looked at for the zBrush hard surfacing!

Check these out:
    http://eat3d.com/zbrush_hardsurface
    http://eat3d.com/zbrush_hardsurface2

The first set's workflow is outdated, but still has great info and brush explanations. The second set's workflow is updated, but I think it's in 4, so there may be an even more efficient workflow now. All in all these 2 sets are invaluable for sculpting hard surface in Zbrush
  • THendersonVFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THendersonVFX polycounter lvl 6
    Also, the only thing I could recommend is: where the wires connect into the helmet (the pair just above the air hose) I'd suggest giving the wire texture some wear at their connection point. As though they rub on the edges of the insert slots. Not a lot, but just a slight fade in color, or even some dust/dirt that may collect around the openings
  • VladimirSomov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, the only thing I could recommend is: where the wires connect into the helmet (the pair just above the air hose) I'd suggest giving the wire texture some wear at their connection point. As though they rub on the edges of the insert slots. Not a lot, but just a slight fade in color, or even some dust/dirt that may collect around the openings

Absolutely, There is a lot of possibilities to add some some wear, but its all done with tileable textures and box or planar projections, I didn't have luxury of custom painted details ;(