Home Quixel Megascans

SOLVED BY USER: Colorswatch for Photoshop doesnt match FBX ?

DonCornholio
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
DonCornholio polycounter lvl 9
Hi there ! I'm not completely sure if this has been answered before, but i wasnt able to google the answer to this yet.

I was trying to use the Default Color Swatches for DDO's Default Material Presets and its kinda strange.
As far as i can see the Colorswatch file for Photoshop matches the Colors defined in the Default.XML (which is the default preset), but the swatch.fbx does not. The Colors are pretty far off so using the "find closest id match option" doesnt help it.

Can anybody else confirm this ? Do i have an outdated swatch.fbx (i've found it in Users\Public\Quixel\SUITE\swatches )? I use the Quixel Suite 1.8 and own a legitimate Version, and i cant find another swatch.fbx on their website.

Thanks to anyone taking a look into this, i appreciate the help :)

Replies

• Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi! They should match up, so something is definitely wrong here. What program are you using to open the FBX file with and are the color settings set to default?
  • DonCornholio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried 3ds Max 2015 and 2014, importing it by drag and drop and by dialog.
    What color settings do you mean exactly ?
    I tried bot with gamma correction on and off and both results dont match the expected values. I also tried opening the Image in Photoshop with Different Color Profiles (SRGB, Adobe RGB, or leaving the embedded), all with the same results. Also i can confirm that the colors are not messed with in the baking process, because the values of the baked maps match those set in the swatch.fbx materials.

This is a screenshot of the situation i'm having. I picked titanium for example but the other materials dont match either.
    DDO_ColorSwatch_Problem001.png
  • DonCornholio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    any updates on this ? i am currently just making my own color swatches for max, by simply typing in the correct values myself but i think this is a crucial problem that quixel should really get fixed. Also i'm not the only one having this problem.
  • kendoran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendoran polycounter lvl 8
    Can anybody else confirm this ? Do i have an outdated swatch.fbx (i've found it in Users\Public\Quixel\SUITE\swatches )? I use the Quixel Suite 1.8 and own a legitimate Version, and i cant find another swatch.fbx on their website.

Thanks to anyone taking a look into this, i appreciate the help

I'm getting the same issue with swatches.fbx from Quixel Suite 1.8, but with Blender.

i.e. in the swatches provided for photoshop (Swatch.aco), the color for Varnished Wood is #c85300, but in the FBX file once imported into Blender, the color is #E59B00 which results in "Undefined" in Ddo.

I converted swatch.fbx to ASCII and found the definition for VarnishedWood:
    Material: 47642144, "Material::woodVarnishedWood", "" {
        Version: 102
        ShadingModel: ""
        MultiLayer: 0
        Properties70:  {
            P: "ShadingModel", "KString", "", "", ""
            P: "AmbientColor", "Color", "", "A",0,0,0
            P: "DiffuseColor", "Color", "", "A",0.7843137383461,0.325490206480026,0
            P: "DiffuseFactor", "Number", "", "A",0.800000011920929
            P: "TransparencyFactor", "Number", "", "A",1
            P: "SpecularColor", "Color", "", "A",0.5,0.5,0.5
            P: "ShininessExponent", "Number", "", "A",6.31179093816824
            P: "ReflectionFactor", "Number", "", "A",0.5
            P: "Emissive", "Vector3D", "Vector", "",0,0,0
            P: "Ambient", "Vector3D", "Vector", "",0,0,0
            P: "Diffuse", "Vector3D", "Vector", "",0.627451000026628,0.260392169064167,0
            P: "Specular", "Vector3D", "Vector", "",0.5,0.5,0.5
            P: "Shininess", "double", "Number", "",6.31179093816824
            P: "Opacity", "double", "Number", "",1
            P: "Reflectivity", "double", "Number", "",0
        }
    }

The value for DiffuseColor corresponds to the hex value (#E59B00) picked up by Blender. As far as I can tell, none of the Swatch.fbx correspond to color in Swatch.aco (#c85300)

I'm going the manual route too with taking swatch color values from Photoshop - this is working OK for now, but it would be nice to be able to use Swatch.fbx instead.

Quixel suite is a fantastic product. Any help would be appreciated!
  • hugojackson18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hugojackson18 polycounter lvl 3
    I've got that problem too in Maya. Using the ddo material manager plugin to assign my ID colors, and in DDO it never recognizes any of them
  • DonCornholio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Guys ! Just wanted to let you know that i still dont have an official answer on this. So i took things in to my own hands and just made a new ColorSwatch.FBX, which is in sync with the color swatch for photoshop and the default materials preset.

Here's the download link, so no one else has to do this tedious work : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17204989/DDO_FBX_Default_Swatch.rar
  • hugojackson18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hugojackson18 polycounter lvl 3
    Nice one! Thanks mate
  • DonCornholio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're welcome :) !

Please report back here, if you're still having problems with the swatch.fbx i made or if it just works as expected. So that we all know for sure that this fixed the error now.

Also if anyone from quixel sees this and would like to update their swatch.fbx with mine, feel free to do this and if you're feeling all too grateful about it, i wouldn't mind getting a month of beta access for megatextures ;) .
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow DonCornholio that is quite the effort!
    I´m very sorry that you had to do it in the first place but very thankful that you shared it with everybody here, I will think of something nice to compensate you with :) (How does an autograph sound?)
  • pirate myke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much DonCornholio.
  • Vipera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vipera polycounter lvl 2