Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Head Sculpting, Would love feedback.

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Nicorepe polycounter lvl 4
Hi everyone, I wanted to share with you my very first serious head that I started scultping. I wanted to get the best character possible so I would love to recieve some feedback thanks!

5ZUTyEl.jpg

MIiHGHv.png

Replies

• MrOneTwo
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    Dude... Miquel is calling...

Please don't post pictures with software UI. Everyone here saw Zbrush. We don't need a reminder how it looks (or it shouldn't ;p).

It's a good first sculpt. You definitely need to improve:

- jaw line (it looses shape of the bone. If you are hiding the bone under flappy meat you still could improve how those shape read)

- ears (you just punched a hole in them. Not how real ears look like. Also they are really flat when you are looking at them from the frontal view)

- eyebrows - it looks like he has bone sticking out front those.

Use reference images, learn about anatomy, keep practicing => profit.
  • Nicorepe
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! I will keep working on him the following months because is for a personal project so I will keep in mind what you told me and post the updates :D
  • Nicorepe
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a quick update with some changes :D

2VIrWnb.png

1q4QbsC.png
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Yeah good start!
    You should also have some fun doing sculpt sketches using photos as reference and trying young, old, male female while practicing with the software as well.

Keep em coming.
    Cheers
  • Nicorepe
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks kanga!I will do that! I have some time today to keep working on this head and I will update with an screenshot later :D
  • Nicorepe
    Offline / Send Message
    I saw that my character was looking to old so I decided to make some more changes, what can I improve with it? :D
    mwrtjhh.png

1B4s3ml.png

IjrZDoM.png
  • skodone
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone polycounter lvl 2
    it seems your subdivision level is all over too high... thats why some forms look so bulky and uneven, i would zremesh or dynamesh the head to a much lower density and rework the forms of the head.
    then work yourself up slowly with the details and try to get the sculpt clean and nice
    i think the small gap between the nose and lips is a bit too strong

the ears are a bit too high
    all the rest seems good... may recheck all over proportions several times with anatomy references...
    try to get it clean and smooth and it will be killer :)
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think I can abide by a purple ZBrush.

Your guy is getting a bit overworked now. You've lost a lot of what was working in the previous ieteration. If you've got an earlier save, it might be worth jumping back to it. Aside from being pretty lumpy, it wasn't too far from being a solid model.

As Skodone suggests, you really need to drop back and work at a lower subdivision level, You'll have a far easier time pushing the forms around and cleaning up those shapes.
  • Nicorepe
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Skodone and Jack! in this interation I jumped back to a previews save and started working from there cleaning mesh, lowering polygon count and adjusting proportions, what do you think?

57rQbpK.jpg

OnSv57B.jpg

yoZjlYM.jpg
  • skodone
    Offline / Send Message
    looks better!

check the chin and lower lips from the sideview and try to shape the faceplanes
    really nice (google if you dont know what that is)

also lower the polycount moremore, no more wrinkles shoud be visible! :D:D
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    It looks like he has an expression, an ummmmm. Try get the base to be relaxed. Checking out face planes on google will help a lot:
    230832de29ff2ce9ae6d0b8956ebbedc.jpg
    Keep Trukin' :)
    Cheerio
  • Nicorepe
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your feedback!, Using the faceplanes and lowering even more the polycount I like even more how the model is looking!. But I feel like there is some human feeling missing, skin details and etc what do you think?.

r6g7p4y.jpg

t7Dp40d.jpg

XcFRoOK.jpg
  • skodone
    Offline / Send Message
    thats the thing you go down with your subdivision and do everything big
    like faceplanes proportions check everything until your head is a human head :P

THEN you go up in subdivision and add wrinkles, alphas, spots, scratches and so on :)
    so continue this way check the model on all apsects then proceed to detail and texture
  • Nicorepe
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks skodone!, here this past week I have been working on the head a lot studying and trying to get it as best as posible, still working on it what do you think?
    dd1JtIj.jpg

SluSyaq.jpg

SWJYGcG.jpg
  • rbong obong
    Offline / Send Message
    rbong obong polycounter lvl 8
    its looking much better than before. using references of other people will always help to get the form and shape correct.