Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Environment Artist Portfolio Critique

Hello,

I'm currently a third year student looking for feedback on my portfolio. Please critique. Thanks in advance.

http://www.georgestanford3d.com

Replies

• CrazyMan09
  • photonarbiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    photonarbiter polycounter lvl 4
    I think the cloth in your night scene is too high poly. You could probably get away with reducing it. I also think that you could have achieved the same look on your floor with a baked texture. Instead of modeling it all from scratch. The reason I say this is because the difference between the two would be negligible. Other than that your scene looks good. I like the horror style. Just make sure that the blood makes sense, it kind of looks randomly placed. You can tell a better story if you put the blood in a spot that shows what happened to the person/thing that left it behind. Keep up the good work.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    the layout is good and clean.
    you'll want to give more information on the scenes - some texture flats, shots of some of the props by themselves.
    avoid the UDK wireframes. there are better ways to show that if you decide to - though i'd argue that the scene you chose to show wireframe on is not the best scene to do so with - there's a lot of places it could be optimized.
    if you're going to show textures and wireframes for anything - do it for the single props.
    ditch the un-textured well.

keep at it.
  • CrazyMan09
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Guys, will make the changes.
  • Jerry_Royals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerry_Royals polycounter lvl 3
    I looked at your resume. I would remove the "Personal Skills" part. I know it's there to show your strengths but according to those dots it might lead to, "Why is his problem solving lower than time management?" I feel it's too subjective and can be interpreted a wrong way.

Have your work show those skills instead of an arbitrary scale. Say you finished project 'x' in 1 month, etc. I think finishing a tough project in a good amount of time is a much more firm and positive message than showing your skills in dots.

That's my crit. It's up to you if you want to keep it.

I do like the resume design....I should update mine...
  • CrazyMan09
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I agree Jerry_Royals. Glad you pointed that out.

I will mess around with it and make some changes.
  • _Kratos_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Kratos_ polycounter lvl 11
    Honestly...you need to put more time into the content...
    Work more on the assets and textures... the modelling is based on really basic primitives, try to elaborate more organic or mechanical shapes... make materials more interesting and more natural... sense of scale is a little bit lost in some of the pieces (models and textures)

Think you are already in the path... you need to keep working hard!
    Hope it helps!