Home Technical Talk

Normals revealing seams

nsNNRnh.jpg?1
As you can see above, left is my Viewport for Maya 2015 and bottom right is my render using mentalRay with high settings and Final Gathering.
At first i thought it was a Specular issue, but the character has no Spec Map and the spec is controlled through Attribute Settings.
By singleing out Color, Displacement and Normal Map i have concluded that it is the Normal map causing the issue during render as it the only one showing seams through the variance in color and light.
All my maps were originally created from Zbrush 4r7 and 4r6 so I do not think that is the issue, especially when the Viewport in Maya 2015 and Maya 2014 shows seamless.
Below I have also done renders using Maya Software (left) and Maya Hardware 2.0 (right):
xf5UYpo.jpg?1
As you can see, Maya Hardware 2.0(right) is also seamless as well as Maya Software (left) howere there might be an oddity with Maya Software as the bumps in the skin seem to oriented differently? or maybe its just me, i don't know maybe I am overthinking it? Please help figure this out.
EDIT: Below left is without Normal map, right is with Normal map.
06rPpHf.jpg?1

Replies

• JohanL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can't see your pictures so it's hard to tell, but have you tried checking the "Maya Derivatives"-box under Options in Render Settings? Might be worth a shot.
  • Ramrok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hosted images somewhere else... hope they work now.
    Ok so i tried "Maya Derivatives", and below you will see the Before without (RIGHT) and After with (LEFT):
    wIFQjgm.jpg?1

As you can see, it almost does the opposite so I went in PS and using Lighten I combined them to get something near seamless:
    eiguZsv.jpg?1
    Left with "Maya Derivatives", Right merged in Photoshop with the without "Maya Derivatives".

Any way i can get something that looks similar to the one on right? which is a combinaton of both "Maya Derivatives" checked ON and OFF.
  • JohanL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How are you handeling smoothing on your model? Do you have hard egdes on UV-splits? To me this looks like something you would get if you change the smoothing of the lowpoly after a bake.

Edit: But then again it doesnt show in the view port... so I'm actually not sure :/
  • Ramrok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soft edges with Low quality display setting (Shortcut: 1)

Brought in from Zbrush so all maps made there.
  • jfitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jfitch polycounter lvl 5
    That could be your problem, but I'm not sure. Zbrush has no concept of soft normals, so it bakes with everything having hard normals. You might want to try baking within maya or xnormal, make sure your low poly has soft edges.