Home Technical Talk

[zBrush] brush to accentuate details?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
thegreyman1 polycounter lvl 11
Guys, I'm just wondering if theres a brush that will accentuate your details with one quick stroke so to speak.

For instance, lets say I've drawn some lovely wrinkles on a character with the standard brush, not a wrinkle brush or something. But I've noticed that the wrinkles could be a little deeper/more pronounced. Now I don't want to go over every little crease with the standard brush again cos it would be time consuming and I could end up messing up my original sculpting. So, I'm wondering is there a brush that, with every stroke, will deepen the valleys and heighten the peaks of whatever area I am painting on, thus bringing out the detail.

God I hope there is.

Anyway, thanks for reading.

Replies

• thegreyman1
    Offline / Send Message
    thegreyman1 polycounter lvl 11
    [UPDATE] I know the Alt smooth does something similar but is there a specific brush that just does this on a larger, smoother scale. Alt smooth is really noisy. But it may have to do
  • Count Vertsalot
    Before you sculpt details add a new layer in the layer submenu. When you do the details, overdo them so it looks like it's too much, then use the layer slider to dial it in to what you want.

Since you already sculpted these wrinkles, I recommend masking by cavity so you can only change the areas you want. If you're looking for additional brushes there is a brush directory in Lightbox with a ton of them.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Alternatively, store a morph target before detailing. You can then use the morph brush to either intensify or soften the details.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    tools > deform > smooth

use a negative value

acts like a sharpen filter
  • hansolocambo
    Offline / Send Message
    hansolocambo polycounter lvl 8
    Alternatively, store a morph target before detailing. You can then use the morph brush to either intensify or soften the details.
    This rings like a sound advice. Thanks CheeseonToast. I'll try that. Pb with Morph target usually is that I need to remember NOT to re-dynamesh. Or vertices count changes and the morph is gone.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Before beginning tertiary details I always add a layer and store a MT. As well as dialling the details on layers you can duplicate the layer to strengthen it more. I usually add many layers at that stage and constantly re-store the MT along the way.

To the OP, the best brush for this is the patience and time brush :) You won't achieve realistic wrinkling detail unless you finesse it multiple times with varying passes of manual sculpting.