Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Motion capture problems

I am working on a motion capture project using capture data from a dog. I created a skeleton within Vicon and hooked it up to the marker data after the shoot. The skeleton has since been exported as an fbx. However, I’m having trouble hooking this data up to a model.

I’ve tried everything! I’ve tried characterizing the dog model and hooking it up to motion data within MotionBuilder. That created some weird orientation issues where the dog was taking the data, but was vertical. I tried changing the orientations of the model’s joints, that didn’t work either. So to save further headache, I brought the capture data skeleton into Maya and using the capture skeleton as the skeleton for the dog model, skipping characterization completely. I pushed the data ahead on the timeline, zeroed out rotations on frame 1, and manually translated the joints to where they needed to be on the model. Did a smooth bind and pressed play. This has given me the closest-to-perfect results, but there is still weirdness happening. Some of the joints have odd translations when before there were none. I’ve tried keying the translations before and after (thinking maybe translating the joints to the model was the problem), but that caused more problems (the joints clumped together and looked like the model went through a blender).

I am really determined to get this to work, but I feel like I’ve run out of options. This is the first time I or anyone at my school has mocapped a quadruped, so I don't have many options as far as troubleshooting goes. I've included a video of the current problem I'm having. Any help is much appreciated!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Hc_iWfTNgQ[/ame]