Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Da Dawg Bowl - New Generator Library Release for Substance Designer

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
ActionDawg greentooth
This is an old art thread which is probably still linked to from some other sources, so if you've landed here please check out some of my newer tools :)

New! Pixel8r v1.5
https://gum.co/pixel8r

New! 
Advanced Normal to Roughness Node
https://gum.co/n2r

Dog Library Generators - Substance Designer

https://gum.co/DogLibrary

3D Wood Generator - Substance Designer
https://gumroad.com/l/3dwood

If you find these valuable, please consider purchasing in order to help support my efforts towards providing more things like this.

Thank you for looking! All feedback is welcome!

Replies

• ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Merry Christmas all! I couldn't sleep until I got some more done on the lamppost. Don't have Corona here, so have a viewport screengrab.

I could really use some help taking this further! I'll be trying to start applying at studios soon and want this scene to be at the forefront of my portfolio.
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth

A little bit more progress. Click the image to go to a high res vertical shot :)
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth

Pushing the design further. Click the images for high res versions! Feedback is appreciated!
  • ZombieDawgs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieDawgs polycounter
    I'd love to see some fully finished pieces from you. You've got the skill I'd be nice to see it compliment an entire scene.
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Yeah you're absolutely right, sticking with one thing is something I really am trying to improve on. I also recognized how much I needed a full scene, which why I put the PipBoy on the backburner. As much as I wanted to work on it, one small hero prop won't land me a gig. Plus the Defiant and PipBoy while being my own takes aren't very original. Right now I'm focusing my efforts on my completing my scene and my second rendering article. I plan to come back afterwards to finish the PipBoy and do a full scene for the Defiant.

Aside from all this I made a 3d print I made my gf for Christmas!

And a small update, working while on my flight out here to California:

Sorry for the noisy render, I'm having to do this off a laptop. I'll be filling up the top area to be crowded with buildings, and am trying to figure out how I want the elevation as a whole to be formed. The main focal points will be around the area's I've been rendering so far.
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth

I just finished the low poly bake of a door for my scene. Next up is polishing these materials and adding weathering effects! I'll be using these materials throughout my scene on various assets. Click the preview pic above for the full image! Once Iray works again in SD I'll post an update on this guy's texture :)

This is the high poly mesh, again click the image for the full view!

• ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    More texturing! I'm pretty content with the door's wood substance so far but still haven't done anything with the door pieces. I'll be coming back to it after developing the scene further. The dirt is a little too basic at the moment.

^ Click for full res ^

And here's a non-Iray render so yall can see the details!

And as a quick bonus, I've changed the wood and paint colors here:

• ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    A small update on my project! I've been working on a wood generator which I'll release for free once I'm done. It's not quite ready for use on real assets though.

Click the image below for the full resolution. This is the substance for the corbel shown above, which is just using tri-planar mapping until the wood generator is finished.

• ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth

Getting things into unreal. Any feedback is welcome!
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Free Release!

I've just put up my 3D Wood Generator up on gumroad as a pay what you like deal. Check it out at the link below and watch the jump start video for an overview of everything + future plans.

The files include the above asset with an example setup, the generator, and the sample wood grain that I currently use.

Here's my quickstart video showing the setup for the generator and future plans.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_EMBrW-jQI

Grab it below!
    https://gum.co/3dwood

If you find this valuable, please consider purchasing in order to help support my efforts towards providing more things like this.

Version 2 (Paid Edition) Plans:
    Approximate the true micro-structure of wood.
    - Artist controllable parameters over characteristics determined by various wood species.
    Better support for re-orienting assets (will also be added as a future update to this free version).
    Bark generation???

Thank you for looking! All feedback is welcome!
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth

Back to the scene now, I've got a modular building layout done and am working on finishing the first four pieces. It broken up into: facade, 1st story, 2nd, and the roof. This is using all realtime lighting due to my great frustrations with how limited baked lighting is. I'm considering making a breakdown of best practices for fully realtime scenes in UE4 towards the end of my work on this project.

Edit:

I removed all the point lights used to help show off the details and turned my fog back on to show the atmosphere I'm going for.
    This is rendered with one directional light + skylight, DFAO/GI + LPV.

One small note is that an extra directional light is actually needed casting from below the horizon in order for the default BP_Sky_Sphere to enable stars. This light does not contribute to the scene in any other way however and is only there so I don't have to muck with the blueprint.
  • ZombieDawgs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieDawgs polycounter
    Keep pushing it, this has a lot of potential.
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Thanks man, and for the crit on FP :)

Here's my scene as it stands with working glass, VPL on the lampposts, etc. No lightmass.

I'll come back to skim down the lamps when I can!

Edit:
    The power of realtime~

• ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth

Tessellation test.
  • synergy11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    synergy11 polycounter lvl 6
    Hi Somedoggy. I really like your above texture. I've been struggling with getting that chaotic brick work design. Care to share your technique on that one? Distance node?
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Thank you! I had about 4 or 5 attempts at this material before I got the rock generation looking decent. The distance node was my instinct at first, but I realized that I couldn't control the form of my rocks at all. Eventually I moved to an approach making bubbly forms that have some definition to them with the Tile Sampler.

Here's a quick update on my progress:

I generate my rocks in a two part process. The first part gets the shapes, and allows me to make a generator for use in a separate graph. BTW, this is going to be part of a big release I'm teaming up with a friend for.

Part 1:

The tile samplers are exactly the same and should use the "Max" blend mode. The only difference between the two is that I use extremely slightly different Color Random values in order to divide them (the first blend up top). This gives me an almost perfect solid value for each of the stone shapes that I can use later for offsetting effects and making random heights.

On the bottom row I use a neat trick of blurring my result by a tiny value and passing both through a subtract. Then crush the white values all the way until it's solid white lines. The rest is a setup so I can smooth my result and control line thickness later.

Here's the different controls that I have set up. The rest is very standard stuff.

I hope this helps! :) Anything that's not making sense feel free to ask and I can elaborate on.
  • Twister3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Twister3 polycounter lvl 12
    Really cool man! I'm looking forward to your realtime UE4 breakdown and of course how your scene turns out. Very promising stuff those substances!
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Thank you! In addition to more breakdowns and useful stuff I'm doing, my friend and I are working on a 3 part series on developing a prop for modern presentation (UE4/Corona/Marmoset) that should be out soon. Expect it up on gumroad!

In the meantime I've got some progress on the London scene that I'm not yet ready to show off, but here's an experiment in SD that I've been posting around.

• ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    I've been jumping all around lately! Here's a huge image dump.

For London:

New wall light, just needs the glass and bulb. Glass I've figured out nicely in UE4 but the bulb will need special work for my dynamic lighting setup.

Worked a bit on a curtain setup to sit behind my various shop windows but MD has been bugging out on me recently. My first few tests using complex trimming failed. I'll probably add those later in the texturing phase if they need it at all. This needs a lot of work!

Started a wood pattern library for gumroad: I have another library planned along with the series I'm working on with a friend, mentioned in my last post. In addition is finally finishing my second rendering article which is about halfway done and desperately needing peer review.

I'm working on translating these to dynamic functions rather than through standard nodes so I can offer variables the user can muck with. I've got tons more patterns picked out!

Brought my pixel bricks into Unreal to play around with an idea for a future project. The dithering was a challenge to get pixel perfect with Substance but the result is very nice and I'd love to explore this further.

And finally, I made a slice of cake for my bae's Twitch! I really enjoy the Sims 1 type of vibes it has. This was done in Max and Photoshop.
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    I've been refactoring my whole Substance library and substances for my scene, headed towards implementing a proper production pipeline you'd see on big projects + crosslinking with Painter. Here's a sample of grime.

Material blending in this fashion is a super easy workflow :)

I've posted this around already, but might as well share my updates on realtime lighting in UE4. This wall light contributes to LPV, DFAO/DF Shadows, etc etc. Old placeholder textures here.

Since I want to push fidelity I'm doing a lot of this high level material and shading work first while I iterate on the scene design itself. I can't wait to share where it's going!
  • monitorhero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monitorhero polycounter lvl 6
    Hey @somedoggy , just wanted to pop in an say how much I am impressed by your work. I really like how you generated the bark substance. Any chance you could share it? Thanks!
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUCDIAupRmQ
    Updating the thread to share my new release! I always do this at terrible hours of the day...
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    that looks cool, so Im guessing it will only output something useful if you have a lot of detail in your normal map? if your normal map is quite smooth but the actual object should be a rough surface it will not give good values but is tweakable? nice work
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Thanks! Yeah it all depends on the frequency (details) of your normal map. You don't really need a lot though, any detail will do. Now if you had something stupid simple and blobby there just wouldn't be much to work with, but with any practical texture there's probably gonna be a good variety of detail to pull and mix :)

It's meant to add itself over a predefined roughness map, so you would use this to just roughen up the details and get that extra pop. A great use case is on hardsurface models with sharp edges that are baked into the normal map. Since sharp edges like those often appear aliased, you could use this to locally bump up the roughness of those areas!
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    somedoggy said:

So I've been getting back into this project :) Currently blocking out the church building which you can see the old stairs leading up to in the photo above.

All of this is a big mess right now. Just figuring out forms and placements. I designed the bottom so it opens up the alley more. Feels nice in Unreal. The windows will eventually be sunk into the walls and have brick borders like IRL once I start building a real kit out of this. The apse (back of a cathedral) is present, but I'm not sure it'll be necessary since my final camera angles will be confined to the street and church's front areas.

Any and all CC is super welcome!
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Another little update. I don't have a render of the full church right now but it's undergone a number of changes. I've mostly been doing serious Substance library refactoring and additions.

I've replaced the roof railing with its final mesh. This is baked down, tiles nicely and is essentially finished. Now to just create the stone (concrete?) Substance. Tiling 3x (somewhat cropped here):

And begun detailing the tower balcony:

Using the gold leaf I showed a bit of here:
    http://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2461911/#Comment_2461911

I applied this as a test to my clock low poly. The other materials are totally placeholder:

That's all for now!
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    I've released a new Substance package over on gumroad. Check out the sticky at the top of this thread, or simply follow the video and link below:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yphPQVO61BQ
    https://gum.co/DogLibrary

Thanks for looking!