Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Lava shader

polygon
Offline / Send Message
CDeniz polygon
For my computer graphics course we needed to create some kind of effect using multiple passes.

Here is my result:

1nvld50.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl4P54jUcD4&feature=youtu.be

I wish I had more time to finish implementing pbr.

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    where's the actual shader?
  • DShepard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DShepard polycounter lvl 10
    Your rocks look like shiny charcoal. They also seem to be very oddly placed, making it seem like they're floating in air.

The lava itself doesn't look much like lava, but rather a weird psychedelic pulsating goo. Do you have a very intense displacement map on your material? It looks a lot like what you get with a noisy displacement map turned up to 11:

zns4H3G.png

I'd say there's still some work to be done before it is believable.
  • CDeniz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CDeniz polygon
    where's the actual shader?
    The source code?
    DShepard wrote: »
    Your rocks look like shiny charcoal. They also seem to be very oddly placed, making it seem like they're floating in air.

The lava itself doesn't look much like lava, but rather a weird psychedelic pulsating goo. Do you have a very intense displacement map on your material? It looks a lot like what you get with a noisy displacement map turned up to 11:

I'd say there's still some work to be done before it is believable.
    The pom effect on the lava is certainly too high, I need to play with it some more.

Also agree with the rock materials, although the user can input any rock material they want into the shader. The height of the lava raises and sinks based on the height of the rock texture given, + some other factors.