Home Technical Talk

Asset Production Pipeline

Hey fellow members,

I searched a bit and found only something similar to my questions but forgive me if repeat something already said...

I always wondered about the process from highpoly to lowpoly assets(same applies to characters ofc aswell). Lets say I want to build a column with some brick standing out and beaten up edges etc. I'd start modelling a simple basemesh inside e.g. 3ds Max and export it to Zbrush. Inside of Zbrush I sculpt the asset until im pleased. Next step would be to retopologise it lets say in 3ds Max aswell. After that I want to use the sculpted detail from the high poly as normal map on top of my lowpoly. So I'd lay out my UV's and re-export to Zbrush. But since it's a new object I would have lost my sculpted detail, ain't I? One way to deal with it would be projection but there has to be another option aswell or not? Because I'm struggling with projection inside Zbrush.

This part is my main struggle point. Let's say I made a basemesh for a character (possible in 3ds Max or Zbrush) -> sculpt it in Zbrush -> export back to max -> retopologize -> lay out UV's -> back to Zbrush for e.g polypainting/baking

Problem: Sculpted character is based on basemesh so it hasn't any UV's or good topology but the retopologized one isn't sculped.

Question: Do you have to resculpt the retopologized one and use it as level 1 of subdivision or are there methods to use the already sculpted detail from the basemesh on the new optimized mesh?

Thx for reading, waiting for help here.

Kind Regards ;)