Home Technical Talk

Cartoon Rig squash/stretch

While applying squash/stretch feature to your cartoon rig, which setup do you use ? scaling the bones or translate ?

What is the differences or benefits of using one way to another one ?

Replies

• jfitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jfitch polycounter lvl 5
    I think the question might be what your engine supports if you're doing this rig for a game, some engines don't support bone scaling. Though I'm pretty sure most of them do now.

I feel like translate gives the feel a bit better to be honest, scaling would do some awkward things to your mesh. But its your choice.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    You should use position. Scale just brings lots of problems with games engines. If you are working on a film project you have a lot more freedom.
  • pixolpture
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks!
    Is there any differences/problems about skinning or texture... I've tested skinning with simple setup. I use default smooth bind and scale is better on skinning.

I'm not sure about texture, but i realize that most stretchy characters(like fantastic four) have solid colors on stretchy parts.
  • jfitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jfitch polycounter lvl 5
    Yeah, if you have any patterns it's going to be noticeable when it stretches. I'm sure there's a way around this...I wonder if you can do some kind of squash/stretch on the UVs...anyway, if the part doesn't move too much it'll be okay, but if it does it might look stretched. One way to fix this would be to have loops close together that stretch at different rates, kind of like one of those plastic lightsabers that collapses but without actually changing in diameter. When the limb stretched those pieces would fill in the stretched area...but idk if that would work.

Best bet is to do some testing! :) Get the rig together and see what happens.