Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] How to train your dragon : Viking Cliff House

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
iFraude polycounter lvl 10
Hi there Polycounters :)

Having finished my last portfolio piece, I'm going to tackle something a bit bigger this time :

f7c9244a9d.jpg

My aim on this one, is to approach the concept with a more realistic style, going for less saturated colors, and why not, some of the ambiance you can find in Vikings (TV show).

I'm going to use : Maya, Zbrush, Xnormal, UE4, Substance Painter & designer, maybe Topogun and Crazy Bump.

I'll regularly post news and screens as I progress in the making of that scene.

So, first and foremost, here's the breakdown of the environment :

5b161db175.jpg
Main Items

99a1951a00.jpg
Wood

a2b146004a.jpg
Wood planks and moss

6fdc30782a.jpg
Cliff Rawks

888222aa24.jpg
More rocks, with Guano, yum yum !

I'll be working on the polycount hangout most days (European time), don't hesitate to pass by and say Hi ! :D

See you next update ~

Replies

• TGI
    Offline / Send Message
    TGI polycounter lvl 3
    Seems like a cool idea! Looking forward to seeing your updates.
  • iFraude
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE #1

Work Time : 4 Hours

So, I got a little bit of time tonight to give the blockout a shot. I first wanted to give the Drakkar hull a bit of work so I could get it's proportions (kinda) right before nailing the rest of the scene quickly.
    This is what it gives after 4 hours of placing boxes around :p (don't mind the alien-ish rocks, it's maya sculpt)

68bbc7a4f9.jpg

7b6d1d49bc.jpg

9d0cb9ed15.jpg

81d4590ae1.jpg

(I think I'll set a "image heavy" disclaimer on that topic... :p)
  • iFraude
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE #2

Work Time : ~7 Hours

Yesterday and today have been a bit special. First, I finished blocking out the scene, caring a good deal on the main volumes. I'm pretty close to it now.
    Then, I Tried to figure out some workflow to get the job done faster on these very repetitive wood slabs there's in this scene.

This is what I am going for (with repetitive objects) :

- Loosely sculpt the item to give some interesting normals
    - Slam a tiled texture onto the model in substance designer.
    - Add some details and some weathering effects (this is the part where I'm still wondering. I wonder if I should add these post Substance designer or not. If I do, I could vertex paint some details in engine, such as moss or guano.)

Since Substance Designer's Workflow is non destructive, I only have to change the detail normal of the specific Item I'm making to "texture" a new object. I guess I'll get more in depth in the next update.

Here's what I've got so far :

73bd8a16a3.jpg

71536ad552.jpg

0ee8f0aa26.jpg

Cheers ! See you in a couple of days :)
  • iFraude
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE #3

Alright ! Time for a little update.
    It's been a hell of a couple of weeks, didn't have much time to work. During my free time, I started working on a Maya that automates the Pre bake steps such as :
    -Triangulating low poly
    -Applying smoothing groups
    -Creating the cage
    -Apply a cage material
    -Putting all the meshes into nice, neat groups :)

If you're interested by the script, just ask me, I'll drop a link to it.

I've also been working on the shields. I decided to take a procedural approach with substance designer. This is how I did it :

I modeled 4 types of shields (4 wooden part, 2 trims, 4 metal thingies on top).
    Textured everything with substance designer and exposed a few options to change the crest automatically, the different colors, the opacity, the paint peeling and the wood underneath.

Here's the result :)

All these shields are 1 substance, there's 10 crests available, and all the colors of the rainbow :D

da17fbbbfe.png

27f379af2e.png