Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Modified M1911 - Critiques requested!

So I spent most of my free time today working on this model in Blender. I like it, but it definitely needs improvement, most notably with the texture of the slide. I never did learn how to make good-looking metal textures yet, and I would like some critiques on how I could improve it.

Pistol%205_zpsca7uwbgr.png

I know it's missing a few details that an actual M1911 has, such as the safety, but as I said, it's modified, and that is one of the things changed. The slide itself isn't intended to slide, and so the safety was moved to the underside of the slide as a result.

Anyways... does anyone have any pointers they can give me to improve this model/texture?

Replies

• Deutch1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    right now the only thing bugging me is the fact it looks nothing like aa M1911. I have no idea what that thing with red liquid is but it looks like it would block the slide making ot useless and the proportions of the grip are all out but kep working on it
  • RedRogueXIII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RedRogueXIII polycounter lvl 16
    First off watch Millenia's Weapon Tutorial.

It looks like a beginner's first gun model, and it's pretty good for a beginner. But there is a lot of improvement to be made. Hiding behind artistic license by saying it's modified pads your ego, but doesn't help you improve. Don't be discouraged that your first few works aren't great, but make the effort to improve.

As for this gun model it's in your own best interest to start over and try and learn how to build a more accurate model. For an accuracy critique, all I can say is that everything is off, and nothing from it looks like it's worth salvaging; just try again from scratch after watching that tutorial.

- Ref
    - Ref
    - Ref
    - Refs of all the different models
  • The Sightless Scopesman
    First off watch Millenia's Weapon Tutorial.

It looks like a beginner's first gun model, and it's pretty good for a beginner. But there is a lot of improvement to be made. Hiding behind artistic license by saying it's modified pads your ego, but doesn't help you improve. Don't be discouraged that your first few works aren't great, but make the effort to improve.

As for this gun model it's in your own best interest to start over and try and learn how to build a more accurate model. For an accuracy critique, all I can say is that everything is off, and nothing from it looks like it's worth salvaging; just try again from scratch after watching that tutorial.

- Ref
    - Ref
    - Ref
    - Refs of all the different models
    While it is meant to be a specific thing, an M1911 that was modified to fire lasers instead of bullets, I see your point. Even if I am going to make a modified pistol like this eventually, it's best I start with a model accurate to a real M1911, not only so the base is correct, but for the practice as well. I made it without a reference picture, which wasn't all that smart of an idea, which would at least explain the incorrect proportions.

Anyways, thanks for the feedback!
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty decent if you didnt use any references at all. Other than that im 100% with RedRogue.
    Also, what does the tube do?
  • The Sightless Scopesman
    The tube is meant to carry the compound in the container at the bottom into the gun itself to be used to alter the way the gun works in some way.