Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hi guys! I want to improve, please critique my work :)

Hey Polycount :) I'm new around here. I heard a lot of great things about getting feedback from Polycount after attending GDC.

I would like to improve faster, but I'm not getting enough feedback periodically, so i've turned towards the internet for help :) Please be brutal in critique, I really need it !

?format=1500w

This is something I did in my own time, it feels incomplete ~

Replies

• iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    Are you painting in black and white then adding color?
  • lutzbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lutzbot polycounter lvl 3
    This is really cool! I think this painting is 95% of the way to kicking HUGE ass. The incompleteness is coming from some of your edge handling- the pillars and architecture in the background are feeling a touch soft, and the light/shadow pattern on the floor (from the window) feels like it isn't quite loose enough to be impressionistic, but isn't quite tight enough to be precisely finished. I have similar feelings about the robed figure on the right and the dogs. Also, her head has gotten a touch small. That said, conceptually this is really interesting (I really want to know the story here), and the way you've put together her mech-suit is great.
  • hlam711
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Iadagraca - I went straight into color :)

@lutzbot - Thanks ! I'll try to tighten up those areas and post again sometime. For edge control, would you recommend 100% opacity for the majority of the painting? I know there aren't any rules, but I don't seem to have the same confidence while painting, compared to when drawing
  • curlyhair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    curlyhair polycounter lvl 3
    Hi! I love the warm palette, interesting scene. I agree about the girl's head and edges. I think the dogs are small too, bring the right foot of the left guy more to the front, and I think you can make the suit's edges more crisp (the ones that face the viewer). I've got to say I really like the light in this one.Good job!
  • hlam711
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the feedback :)
    I made a little progress on it, after getting some homework out of the way haha
    Not done yet, but any critique before refining would be awesome :B
    Thanks again guys
  • lutzbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lutzbot polycounter lvl 3
    The tightening up really helps here- i'm enjoying the dog's face, the new armor-faceplate, and the marble texture on the pillars. As for opacity, that's more of a personal preference thing... I do tend to paint with opacity set to 100% and also to pen pressure, but it varies by brush. I think the level of crispness of the pillars and architecture in the background is okay now (you don't want BG stuff to be too sharp), although where the pillars meet the ceiling and floor could use a tiny bit more love. One trick that may help is pushing lost edges where two objects of similar value meet- as a rule of thumb, the lower the contrast, the softer the edge. I would especially push this where the dude on the right starts to blend in with the background cloth, and where her suit is a similar value to the background. Conversely, I would really crank up the sharpness of the suit where it's in the light- either by hand painting or by filter (smart sharpen and unsharp mask are great, although best used sparingly).

nice!
  • hlam711
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the Feedback again :) Always really helpful !
  • VShane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VShane polycounter lvl 6
    Could push your perspective more with the characters. the knight isnt standing straight on, but at an angle to the view, so the servants should reflect this, one being further back, and the other a little more to the front, itll sell the look better