Home Technical Talk

Great question about how to properly scale UV shells in 3DS Max...

Well, the title almost summarizes my question:

I'm relatively new to 3DS Max. I've got the initial unwrapping done for my asset, but in the process the UV shells for the different elements of my weapon (it's a knife) are all different sizes and not proportionate to the actual size of the individual pieces in relation to each others. For example, the UV islands for the knife's leather straps are much larger than the blade's islands, which will of course greatly bias the allocated texture resolution.

Does anyone have a moment to point me in the right direction for getting my islands to be proportionately scaled? Is there a specific tool for this? I'm using 3DS Max 2015.

Replies

• Adrian Pieroni
    Nevermind I figured it out:

There's a tool in the Edit UVWs window called "rescale clusters", but it only works with your shells if the entire asset is combined into one editable poly, via attach. Then apply a new Edit UVWs modifier to the asset and your UV's will still be there and you can apply rescale clusters, and it downsizes/scales the shells proportionate to each other and their respective meshes.
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    You might also want to look at Textools. I'm not a max user but I understand it's quite useful.