Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Hyshinara

I'm mainly using this thread to make quick update posts about my projects, with links to their respective threads, where more pictures and information can be found.
Aside from that, I'll also be dropping some loose sketches and stillborn projects, which don't really deserve a dedicated thread.

Feel free to leave behind constructive critique and comments! :)

Replies

• Hyshinara
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First up:
    Test-baking diffuse and normal maps in Maya 2014.
    I'm testing the diffuse map baking for a G1 Transformers project in which I intend to model high-poly versions, face-colour the models, then bake the colour information onto the low-poly models. If I'm correct, this should give crisp, reference accurate results with relative ease.

The first attempt, using a loose rendition of G1 Soundwave's chest, accompanied by the diffuse and normal maps resulting from a bake to a simple quad.
    2015-03-21%20Baking%20test%20with%20Soundwave%20-%20Bake%20Results.jpg

A close-up of the wireframe of the Decepticon crest. I intend to model and colour all details like this.
    2015-03-21%20Baking%20test%20with%20Soundwave%20-%20Wireframe%20Closeup.png

On the left is a quad with the maps applied, on the right is the original model. I've learned that my low-poly version cannot be this flat. I'll have to model the large shapes and only use normals for the smaller details.
    2015-03-21%20Baking%20test%20with%20Soundwave%20-%20Comparison.png

Edit:
    The more detailed low-poly mesh gives a better, but not perfect, result. There are some minor issues, such as that the colour transitions aren't as crisp and that the normal map lighting is a bit weird in places.
    2015-03-23%20WIP%20new%20low%20poly.jpg