Home Technical Talk

Show Image plane when in Wireframe (3DS MAX)

Paquette_e
triangle
Offline / Send Message
Paquette_e triangle
Hey guys!

I made some research on the web and tryed a couple of way to do it but I can't figure out how to do it.

-I'm creating a plane
-Putting a shader on it ( my image plane )
-Going into obj properties, selecting By layer and not By object
-Putting my planes into a new layer
-Editing the layer and unchecking Frozen in gray and switching the display to Wireframe.

But the result: When in wireframe mode, I can't see my image and everytime I go in my layer properties it always kick back the display to viewport...

What am I doing wrong ?
Thank you!

Replies

• Axi5
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    Wireframe modes sets it to display all objects rendered in that viewport in wireframe.

You can create a material for all other objects that turns the opacity to zero so that only their wireframe is visible when edged faces is on. That way you can still see the image plane but everything else is wire.

I made a script that does this for selected objects, it's a really common one and I don't know how to package them for install properly yet so this is the first time I've posted it publicly. That and I'm a newbie scripter so people who know Maxscript will have better ways of doing this but here:
    http://pastebin.com/NvbdFsXJ

Save it as an .mcr and drop it into your macros folder, the button will show up under customize > customize user interface > toolbars > draganddrop

edit:
    If any one who knows Maxscript would care to dissect/critique to help me improve I would appreciate it.
  • Butthair
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    Assign the image you want to the viewport background.
  • Paquette_e
    Offline / Send Message
    Paquette_e triangle
    Butthair wrote: »
    Assign the image you want to the viewport background.

If I do this, the image plane is not going to be lock :/