Home General Discussion

contract() - free game contract generator

http://docontract.com/

I came across this the other day, a great resource for quickly generating a contract, if you're a freelancer or another kind of game contractor. I just used it for a new client, in fact. Easy and straightforward.

Interview with the guy who created it:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-03-13-taking-the-fear-out-of-contracts

Added it to the wiki, so it's easy to find again:
http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Game_Industry#Employee_Rights

Replies

• Deathstick
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    oh baby, nice find!
  • Francois_K
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    The lawyer which commented on the article makes me wonder about a few things though... like

"Stating that this for agreement was reviewed and approved by lawyers gives it a level of credibility that is not reflected in the contract itself. "

"If you are going to become a professional developer, hire a professional to do your legal work. Sending out a contract like this broadcasts to anyone with industry experience how green and inexperienced the developer is...never a good first impression in a business relationship."

"Plain language is great. But lawyers use legal terms because they are well defined by consistent use in the law and in our industry."

So I don't know. He makes it seem like it's a bad idea and he appears to be a lawyer...
    Maybe someone has some different opinions about it?
  • DireWolf
    I think the point he's trying to make is that he is the professional.
  • Alphavader
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    "If you are going to become a professional developer, hire a professional to do your legal work. Sending out a contract like this broadcasts to anyone with industry experience how green and inexperienced the developer is...never a good first impression in a business relationship."

This - at the end its all about this paper you're client signed, and if there is some struggle you will sooo glad to have a good and solid contract.
    - trust me, nothing is frustrating then waiting or fighting for rights and money!
  • Eric Chadwick
    Depends who I'm targeting. Working with indies or sole proprietors, this contract is a good starting point. When I'm working with a larger studio, they'll have their own lawyered contracts.

It's good to remember the biggest reason for a contract... clarification. This one does a pretty good job.

But it's not iron-clad. If you want total anal protection, get a lawyer. ;)
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    This is pretty sweet. Useful for if you are working with companies which don't have their own contracts and you feel it's excessive to/haven't yet hired a lawyer. At the very least it's a good way to set out an agreement of how you will work together. Thanks for sharing.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah eric , for the 'vendor' ie me, a contract is almost pointless, because its so heavily loaded .
    i am tempted to slip in a 'you must give me a million pounds' clause , see if they notice:)